Mormon leases buck harvest rules???
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Mormon leases buck harvest rules???

I would like to know what the buck harvest rules are for the Mormon leases.

I am on a Lykes and they just hired the Desert biologist I understand they are going to implement the same rules next year.

I can tell you that Lykes 8 point rule doesn't work. I have seen the herd on our 17,000 acre lease ruined because of this 8 point rule. WHY? Think about it pass every buck with no brow times for 12 years and every year them buck continue to breed in time their genetics will dominate the herd. I have seen it first hand. This year I kept a log I have documented 32 different bucks and only 2 were 8 points and are in my freezer.

The 8 point rule sux big time.

IMO any buck without brow tines should be culled regardless of the age. Pass on a 2 year old buck with no brows the next year that buck will breed and produce off spring and the cycle continues. The genetics are passed to both does and bucks.

I called Lykes and voiced my concern to the biologist he told me new rules were going to be implemented next year. I asked if our 20 members could use their tags to harvest bucks without brow tines? I was told no way.

IMO this is a big mistake I have seen it first hand what a bad decision this is.

So are what are the buck harvest rules at Deseret?
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972

They will be different than Deseret's harvest guidelines but will follow the same basic concept of using antlers characteristics that help focus harvest pressure on older bucks and minimize harvest of young bucks.

I have a friend whose club is 4.5 years old or 15" wide.

Read an article on Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) a week or 2 ago explaining that it is very unwise to concentrate on taking bigger older deer isn't smart as related to CWD. Doing so tends to expand the spread of CWD due to infeted deer living longer and spreading it further or something along that line.

Article reported some states are scrapping this big buck management de jour obsession.

I have faith Florida will wait for a CWD calamity to arise before the big buck ego-centric APR boys change.

You're the only one who said anything about big bucks. That's not the goal. Bigger may be a fringe benefit, but older is the goal.

Luckily, Florida is farther from known CWD outbreaks than any other state in the lower 48. I don't think the sky will be falling any time soon here. Luckily, the FWC is being proactive in safeguarding Florida's deer from the disease. Hopefully, FL residents who hunt out of state will help them by following the laws on bringing parts home from harvested deer taken in impacted states.

Quote Originally Posted by gladesman View Post
    Read an article on Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) a week or 2 ago explaining that it is very unwise to concentrate on taking bigger older deer isn't smart as related to CWD. Doing so tends to expand the spread of CWD due to infeted deer living longer and spreading it further or something along that line.

Article reported some states are scrapping this big buck management de jour obsession.

I have faith Florida will wait for a CWD calamity to arise before the big buck ego-centric APR boys change.
    I read that article and it made less than zero sense. Don't allow deer to mature because it will give them more time to spread the prions that cause CWD. They say the prions can exist for many years in the environment. So they suggest to just shot all the deer young??? Before they have a chance to contract the disease, before they have a chance to procreate? So basically there CWD management strategy is eradication? That makes perfect sense, What was I thinking.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me"

Quote Originally Posted by Walker Dog View Post
    FWC is being proactive in safeguarding Florida's deer from the disease.
    They did stop the import of live deer into FL. What they did not do is stop the import of semen, urine or pellets. The experts they called in, when they shut down the live import of deer, testified that the prion is in the digestive and urinary track where these other excretions come from. There is no conclusive test that can be given to a live deer to positively rule out CWD, hence there is now way to determine if these other items carry CWD with them.

They want me to bone out my meat and only bring flesh back from where I hunt in PA because way far away CWD was detected but it is ok to bring in semen or urine from any deer and directly expose FL deer to it????
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.

As far as 8 pt rule I also do not care for a rule that makes a person determine brow tines. I would prefer 3up rule where the intention is the same but allows someone to harvest the mature deer that does not have brow tines. In GSW many of the sheds I came across in the past were massive and no brow tines. I had one on camera year after year that was massive and stayed at a 3 on one side and 2 on the other with no brow tines. If he did not get better after a few years he most likely never would.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.

Quote Originally Posted by bgeorge View Post
    As far as 8 pt rule I also do not care for a rule that makes a person determine brow tines. I would prefer 3up rule where the intention is the same but allows someone to harvest the mature deer that does not have brow tines. In GSW many of the sheds I came across in the past were massive and no brow tines. I had one on camera year after year that was massive and stayed at a 3 on one side and 2 on the other with no brow tines. If he did not get better after a few years he most likely never would.
    ALWAYS BETTER TO HAVE 3 RULES TO GO BY AND HAVE TO MEET 2 OOF THE 3 . THAT WOULD ALLOW THE BIG 6 POINTS TO BE KILLED . I would be willing to bet that would be part of the new rules you get next year .
    living life as i like

I'm with Eddie. The eight point qualification, while well intended, is too arbitrary. There are plenty of fully mature six points dying of old age on many leases in Florida.

15" Wide? Rules out the tall, narrow bucks. Case in point, my one and only registry buck, aged at 4.5, was only 12" wide. The hunt club I shot it on has a tall rack gene. My friend has killed several mature deer that never got anywhere near 15" wide. That club just instituted a 15" rule.

4.5 years of age? Good luck on our lease. You may only get to see a deer for 3-4 seconds. We have a 3 on one side rule. I typically don't shoot six points unless they are big. But you can bet if I see 4 up, I go bang!

Don't get me wrong, I understand wanting to get the age structure up. That's a good thing. But lets look at it more logically and extend some grace if someone happens to come up a bit short, or shoots a 6 point with a sway in it's back.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast