"Bittersweet Grouper" Homosassa 12/6/2017
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Bittersweet Grouper" Homosassa 12/6/2017

We are finally back in Homosassa, after spending the month of November chasing whitetails around the farm in Missouri. Gail connected with her buck tag, putting this nice buck on the ground.
    100_6902.jpg
    I filled my archery turkey tag with a nice gobbler.
    p6Mx2ci - Imgur.jpg
    We got here in time to fish that beautiful stretch of weather. Here's the bitter. We trolled for two days, hard! Caught only two shorts. Put well over 70 miles a day on "Ruff One". Pulled plugs from 10ft out to 25ft and back. Nothing. Seems that the shallow game is not doing good, at least on our areas that have mostly produced in the past. Talked to some old salts and decided that we would push north toward Crystal River.
    So today,my friend Gary and I did just that and we finally got the sweet. The title only said "Bittersweet Grouper" as in singular, and that's all we put in the boat. But, man did it feel nice to see that rod bend over. Of course, Gary said the thing I love to hear. "I think I have the bottom". Usually that means big grouper on, and he was a nice shallow water beast! Thirty plus inches.
    1206170926c.jpg
    With the wind picking up, the seas started acting up, so headed back. Not sure about the "why" on the grouper trolling, but I am sure we will be at it again as soon as this front plays out.
    Enjoy.

Glad you're back! Congratulations on the deer and turkey but even more so on the big grouper. I've not been able to find keeper grouper out off Marker 4 either but did find a 22" gag way north a couple of days ago. No shortage of Spanish macs either place. All my fish are being caught on the jig. No luck with the big plugs.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?

I like it !! You got your weather and some dinner. Gail's buck has some serious mass .
    "You'll get your weather"

Full moon was Monday, that always seems to be a factor when I grouper fish. Thanks for the report
    You should have been here yesterday

Nice buck. That grouper was worth waiting for.

Finally the teachers are back!

I always enjoy your posts that include your farm adventures. Nice critters all the way around!

Nice groupy Tom, but if you had taken Gail along ya'll would've limited out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast