SLI 12-1-17 No Dinner.
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

SLI 12-1-17 No Dinner.

After the kids got on the bus, I loaded up the truck and headed to the boat at 0900 for a solo trip offshore. Got to bullshark at about 1000. 1 hornbelly in the well. (bullshark is the only spot I know for bait) Next I set the autopilot for due east while I setup 3 lines on the troll until I reached 75'. Got 2 bonitos on the way to 75'. At 75', I shut down the engines and started drifting, cut squid, bonita strips, and the horn belly hooked by the nose. While drifting, got another bone head, 1 large blue runner, 1 small grunt and 2 3-4' sharks. Also saw 10+' hammerhead shark hanging around the boat eating the bits coming off the shredded bone head I tied to a stern cleat. I sent down the blue runner which was nailed by something. I couldn't tend to that rod since I was dealing with a shark at the time. Whatever took the blue runner, didn't hook up. I hooked the blue runner at the dorsal fin. What ever took it, took some massive line. thought I was going to get spooled. (probably shark) Back at the marina by 3pm and home by 530. Definitely got more action with drifting than I have in trolling lately. Still no food for the dinner table though.

Seas were 3-4' short interval at times. Boat was taking the waves broadside regardless of which way the rudders were turned. It was hard to stand at times. Waves and wind from the NE. Drift was SW at 1kt or less at 75' Water temp was 78. Outgoing tide started at 0900. Almost full moon. Scattered weeds everywhere, with live on them. Water looked better than last week.

I may try my hand at anchoring offshore over some published numbers and see if that works out any better.

Tally:
    3 Bonitas
    1 Blue Runner
    2 Sharks

Great intel. Thanks for posting.

You may want to invest in a sea anchor. When deployed off the bow, it will keep your nose faced into the wind and waves. Just a thought.

Thanks for the tip. Never used a sea anchor.

I have a 32 Albemarle that weighs 20k lbs.

Can you recommend a sea anchor. Seems like a good item to have aboard in case I loose power when rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Reality View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Never used a sea anchor.

I have a 32 Albemarle that weighs 20k lbs.

Can you recommend a sea anchor. Seems like a good item to have aboard in case I loose power when rough.
    In an emergency, use a five gallon bucket tied to a dock line and deploy it off the bow, it's an emergency sea anchor.

Another bait spot is the Sandpile, google it for coordinates. It's North East of St. Lucie Inlet, about three miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic IV View Post
    Another bait spot is the Sandpile, google it for coordinates. It's North East of St. Lucie Inlet, about three miles.
    Thank you!