Battery Recommendations
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Battery Recommendations

Went out yesterday and had an issue with my batteries (I have 2). One recharged ok, but the other one needs to be replaced (its an Interstate battery). What batteries due you recommend?

Ended up with 1 20” red grouper out of Jupiter. Don’t know how deep because the Interstate battery couldn’t power my depth finder anymore.

I have used many different brands 2 1/2 to 3 years
    max before replace.I have 4 batteries and always
    keep switches turned to both.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastered2850 View Post
    I have used many different brands 2 1/2 to 3 years
    max before replace.I have 4 batteries and always
    keep switches turned to both.
    Why have 4 batteries if your going to use them as 2? If you have a battery short out it will drain the other one and defeat the purpose of having a second battery. A good policy is run one for half the trip and switch over the other ones the other half. Keeps both charged and lets you know if one is failing.
    And if one is failing you probably ought to think about replacing both. I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between makes. Seems if you get 3 years out of any your doing good.

I have a Marlin 35FS with twin Suzuki 300DF motors full electronics and a separate inverter system for 110 power.
    I have the Pro Nautic 12V30amp charging system.
    The boat has 4 batteries two for each motor separated by 2 separate a/b all switch's and each motor charges one of the house batteries and one of the starter batteries separately. I also have 2 additional batteries independent of the 4 main batteries which power an inverter and an upfront 2400 gal per hour bilge.

The best batteries I have ever owned are the NorthStar marine batteries. I have been boating offshore my whole life and of course clean connections proper battery switches, shore charging systems are CRITICAL to battery life. However these NorthStar batteries are extremely heavy compared to other batteries so much that it takes 2 persons to lift them into the boxes when installing them. It is because they are pure lead and this is why they are so expensive. There is nothing worse than going offshore and having a weak battery system. It is kind of like running out of fuel. Just a stupid mistake not thinking clearly.

NSB-AGM 65M
    NorthStar marine batteries excel at providing high vibration resistance, with the high cranking amps and reserve capacity that watercraft demand.
    Capacity
    up to 69 Ah
    Product details
    Pure lead AGM technology delivers exceptional CCA ratings and reserve capacity cycling ability
    Quick starting every time
    Cycles over 900 times to 50% depth of discharge
    Faster recharge than conventional batteries
    Proudly made in the USA at our state-of-the-art battery plant

$313.99 USD(13% off)
    $360.99 USD
    Qty
    Add to Cart

I purchased mine at Treasure Coast Battery on Indian Street in Stuart Fla.

If you want to pick the best battery, you need to start by defining how you use the battery. Are you starting a large motor that needs a lot of cold cranking amps? Do you run a lot of electronics while the motor is shut off, which requires a deep cycle battery? Do you do both & maybe should consider one starting battery & one deep cycle battery? The duel purpose batteries aren’t really good at either. They just sort of give fair performance across the board.

Do you want flooded acid type (traditional), AGM, gell, or something exotic? The flooded batteries give the best bang for the buck & are less sensitive to being left undercharged for a little while then some other types. The AGM batteries take bulk phase charging faster than most other types & don’t spill acid if you turn them upside down, but they suffer more than other types if you don’t bring them back up to 100% full charge each & every time you use them. Gel cells are sort of like AGM lite in some ways. Flooded, AGM & Gel cells each work best with charging systems that provide different float voltages, so the charging system should be matched to the battery type.

Brand does matter. Most of the Chinese batteries suck. They carry a lot of different brand names these days, even some names that sound American. The really high end batteries are pretty pricey. The best bang for the buck that I have found, brand-wise, is Delco. I’ve gotten 7-8 years out of them on average. But then, I take care of my batteries & don’t leave them to sit while discharged. My experience with Interstate has not been as good.

I agree that the batteries should not be run with the main battery switch set to "all", except occasionally when special circumstances dictate that you need to charge both at the same time from the motor running. Some guys run battery 1 for odd numbered days & 2 for even days. Some guys switch weekly. Some guys switch between morning & afternoon, etc. On some systems, it is important to switch the second battery on before switching the first one off if the motor is running. Some charging systems will smoke the regulator if you have no battery attached while the motor is running, even for a very short time.

Make sure that you get a marine battery. Car batteries only have the plates mechanically fastened at the top. The pounding that a boat gives them will shake them apart internally.

Believe it or not, this is the Cliffs Notes version of it. I could easily write many pages on this subject
    Last edited by JIMinPB; 11-26-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: typo

Best place to buy marine batts

GREat info. Where is a good place to buy batteries?

In order of best to worst: Odyssey or wherever you can find a rebrand for less, Sam's Duracell AGM, Sam's regular Duracell, whatever marine battery you can get cheap.

Odyssey
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW