New Saltiga star drag line up.
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

New Saltiga star drag line up.

My friend and fisherman Xaf inquired about the new Saltiga star drag reels in the Alan Tani forum , so I wanted to share my experience on the FS forum since the Saltiga star drag is highly popular and favorable line of reels for many of the fishing methods we deploy in Florida and the Florida Keys, here are my findings so far:

Hello, I recall seeing those premature and negative feedbacks about the new Saltiga star drags, particularly the one saying “the handle sheared off” - pure nonsense. The handle knob in the Saltiga lever drags and the new star drag models have a plastic ring at the base that I’ve seen crack on rare occasion, no biggie. I have an ample arsenal of the old Saltiga star drags and I have always being impressed with Daiwa’s outstanding engineering, machining and crafmanship, so of course I was eager to take an inside look at the new star drag line up. This have been my findings:

Incredible machining, much improved ergonomics over the older model and although they ARE smaller than their older counterparts, the spool capacity is the same due to more streamedlined machining (spool sides have narrower lips) Inside... much more sophisticated than older one, some significant upgrades: o ring on axle shaft/bridge leading to drag pack, easy spool change (3) side plate screws, all gearing contained on right side plate and sealed, this one I particularly applauded: gun drillled main gear with matching metal drag washer with ears that serves as ventilation/heat dissipation feature, outstanding!!! And much smoother both drag and turning than older one. Again (like the,older version) NO plastic parts except for a lubrication plate under the free spool mechanism which should never fail based on functionality.
    On the water... Xaf: We’ve fished elbow to elbow on the rail of the Yankee Capts’ offshore long range boat out of Key West and the pristine waters of the Dry Tortugas and Pulley Ridge Banks and you have first hand experience of the quality and fighting ability of the fish in those waters, the reels performed flawlessly, I have two 40’s, one 50 in the 5-1 gear ratios, I just ordered the SASD15 also with 5 to 1 for Slow Pitch Jigging in 250 to 700 feet of water for Queens and Grouper. I’ve already hooked and brought to the side of the boat giant 200lb. Plus Goliath Grouper and 10 foot Bull sharks and they performed flawlessly! Another winner for Daiwa!
    Last edited by Hoogan; 11-17-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Art, thanks for the review. I just ordered a Saltiga 40A last night. It has the 5.1:1 gear ration instead of the 6.4:1 of the regular 40. I have the older, discontinued Saltiga 30 & 40 and I bought a 15 when they came out for slow pitch jigging. I have plenty of other reels but the Saltigas are my favorites. It’s good to hear that the new Saltigas are built with the same quality of the older models.

Bob,

I use the Saltist 40 reel for my mango rod in the Middle Grounds. The star drag is easy to use in case you hook something bigger like a large grouper. I just love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoogan View Post
    I have an ample arsenal of the old Saltiga star drags and I have always being impressed with Daiwa’s outstanding engineering, machining and crafmanship, so of course I was eager to take an inside look at the new star drag line up. This have been my findings:

Incredible machining, much improved ergonomics over the older model and although they ARE smaller than their older counterparts, the spool capacity is the same due to more streamedlined machining (spool sides have narrower lips) Inside... much more sophisticated than older one, some significant upgrades: o ring on axle shaft/bridge leading to drag pack, easy spool change (3) side plate screws, all gearing contained on right side plate and sealed, this one I particularly applauded: gun drillled main gear with matching metal drag washer with ears that serves as ventilation/heat dissipation feature, outstanding!!! And much smoother both drag and turning than older one. Again (like the,older version) NO plastic parts except for a lubrication plate under the free spool mechanism which should never fail based on functionality.
    Another winner for Daiwa!

I have owned a variety of Diawas since the 70's,and they have all been solid reels...... wish I could say the same for the biggest US brand. Currently using 3 Saltist 40's, a 35, a 20 and a Saltiga 40 lever drag. All hyper speed for vertical jigging. Even though the Saltiga 40 has heavier drag, the Saltist 40 is more ergonomic, and thus my preference. I also use a discontinued Saltist 50 which is a very reliable reel for taking abuse and producing smooth drag. One area of weakness for some Diawas is ergonomics. I am glad to hear that the newer Diawa star drag reels are improving that.