Anna Maria Thanksgiving Trip
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anna Maria Thanksgiving Trip

Iím going to Anna Maria Island during Thanksgiving weekend. Does anyone have any tips on fishing without a boat? I could wade or fish from the shore it doesn?t matter. I?m staying a little south of the bridge, I can drive a little bit I?m 16, so not sure if my parents would want me driving too far though.
    I just started tying hair/marabou jigs for bass in PA. Does anyone have any clue what colors or weights I would need to make some good ones? I?ve seen a lot of people using them for saltwater online usually from .5 oz to 3 oz and a lot of green and white.
    Could I use any bass lures to catch anything? I have a few walking baits and poppers. Jerk baits? Crank baits? Whopper plopper lol? I have a ton of soft plastics too, what could I use there? Or if none of those work what will, links to buy stuff, amazon if possible would be great.
    All my rods are 1 piece. If I should then I?ll get them down there, but is there any place I could maybe rent some decent rods?
    Thanks a lot for the help, any information you can share is great.

Justin

Find a bridge or a jetty by the beach.
    Take 1 rod with you if you can. A medium action is all you need.
    This would be my setup. Take a ľ to Ĺ oz weight and put it on the mainline. Tie a swivel to your mainline and then a section of 20lb leader. Tie a 1/0 circle hook and use some shrimp. Use fiddler crabs if you can find them. You’ll have no problem finding sheepshead, some snapper, and maybe a redfish or two around the structure. You may get into some mackerel if using shrimp. Take along some long shank hooks in case you find them. They’ll cut you off with the regular hooks. Make sure the tide is moving at some point when you’re fishing.
    That’s it. Don’t make it too complicated with too much tackle. Go have fun!

Most of your bass tackle will work on inshore species like trout reds and flounder. You can use the lures you mentioned. I've caught reds on everything you mentioned. Good advice about the sheep head, you'll need shrimp or fiddlers for them ( hard to get them on artificials). I'd bring a rod if you can, you don't want what you could rent. I don't know the area, or I'd give more specific advice. Good luck to you, I hope you wear em out.
    You should have been here yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Saltygatorvet View Post
    Most of your bass tackle will work on inshore species like trout reds and flounder. You can use the lures you mentioned. I've caught reds on everything you mentioned. Good advice about the sheep head, you'll need shrimp or fiddlers for them ( hard to get them on artificials). I'd bring a rod if you can, you don't want what you could rent. I don't know the area, or I'd give more specific advice. Good luck to you, I hope you wear em out.
    Thanks for all the replies. Donít think Iíll be able to take my good rod down because itís a one piece but i have an old 2 piece ugly stick and some 2 piece surf rods i could take.
    I just ordered stuff to make bucktail jigs for down there i bought .75 to 2 ounce jig heads and Iíll have green, red, black, white fur and green white and black paint. I figure that whatever i donít use Iíll sell on eBay or whatever and maybe make some money back. I was at the isle of palms in SC this summer and caught some small reds some other stuff on shrimp and minnows. Hopefully Iíll be able to catch some on artificials. All Iíve ever caught in saltwater have been from live/frozen bait.
    I canít figure out how to post pictures but I posted pictures of my bass lures on pier and surf. Iíll attach a link so if anyone would look at them and help me narrow down what to bring that would be great. http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/#/forums/13

Thanks so much for the help.
    Last edited by JustinF_KTM; 11-14-2017 at 06:49 PM.

South of which bridge? There's Manatee Ave bridge, Cortez Rd bridge, and bridge over Longboat Pass. Several options all up and down the island, can keep you in the neighborhood depending where on the island you're staying. Jacks, mackerel, ladyfish will hit most anything you throw at them. I prefer live bait, but artificials should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by suprasteve View Post
    South of which bridge? There's Manatee Ave bridge, Cortez Rd bridge, and bridge over Longboat Pass. Several options all up and down the island, can keep you in the neighborhood depending where on the island you're staying. Jacks, mackerel, ladyfish will hit most anything you throw at them. I prefer live bait, but artificials should work fine.
    Sorry I should specified. Just south of the Manatee Ave bridge.

If you can't bring your favorite setup, just bring the reel and buy yourself a $15-20 walmart rod. It'll be way better than anything you rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortsman View Post
    If you can't bring your favorite setup, just bring the reel and buy yourself a $15-20 walmart rod. It'll be way better than anything you rent.
    Yeah i have an old one Iím bringing.

Close to Manatee, a couple options are nearby. Both sides of the causeway leading out to the island (by Kingfish boat ramp) are potential shore fishing spots. Can wade out on the flat on the south side or fish from the docks at the boat ramp on the north. Keep following Manatee towards town, and there's a small pier on north side and a low bridge when you get to Palma Sola. Another low bridge between Palma Sola and the island at the south end of Robinson Preserve, accessible from NE side. You also have the city pier and rod and reel pier on the north end of the island, but might be a 15 minute drive.

What brand grubs would you suggest? Berkley gulp grubs are almost $2 each, are they really that much better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast