Planning a Bimini Trip
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Planning a Bimini Trip

I am in the EARLY stages of planning a summer Bimini trip and need resources/advice on where to stay, clearing customs, easy way to find a buddy or two for crossing......

I was on a trip to Freeport once, but it was not my boat and it has been awhile so I feel I am starting from scratch. Any help is appreciated!

Bimini Sands is really nice, easily accessible, all the amenities you'll need, but a bit pricier. Big Game Club also has everything you would need, and you can clear Customs there (not sure about Bimini Sands?). Last time I made a crossing, we stayed st SeaCrest (http://www.seacrestbimini.com/) Very rustic, kinda bare bones charm, but sufficient for my crew. Staff was super nice.

To clear customs, I grabbed everyones passport and walked up the road (past the charred remains of the Compleat Angler) to Bimini Big Game and filled out the paperwork, then across the street to finalize everything at the police station and my crew was good to go.

I got the local boaters option from Dept of Homeland Security, but no one else on my vessel had it, so not sure what good it does? Maybe someone else on here has more experience with that? Supposedly it's good to have?

Good luck on the crossing! Be safe!

For sure get the LBO # EVERYONE ON BOAT NEEDS ONE
    all you do is make a call to clear when you return.

Helpful! Thanks! Maybe I can find crossing partners as summer gets closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastered2850 View Post
    For sure get the LBO # EVERYONE ON BOAT NEEDS ONE
    all you do is make a call to clear when you return.
    I agree. No LBO no ride across
    Bluewater 2850
    Bluewater 2550 sold

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent their government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

Thomas Jefferson 1787

There will be threads on here and the hull truth where people announce their trips and dates and coordinate crossing partners. Still a little early for next summer but you can read last year's reports.

If crossing to Bimini most people I know head to Pompano or south before they cross over but many others go diagonal against the gulf stream. Depends on your boat, weather, fuel burn etc.
    Jupiter 29FS

Jupiter 29FS

I went across 2 summers ago with my wife. I was really surprised that it didn't seem overrun by S. Fl folks super nice beaches and some cool places to snorkel and check out. We stayed on South Bimini, agree Bimini Sands is really nice and has an awesome pool on the beach. We stayed at a house on a canal in South Bimini - you might want to check out VRBO. It was only $1,500 for the week (cash only on arrival).
    It was late July and fishing was very slow although some did well spearfishing to the north. We had a great time, recommend you check it out. Photo of my boat docked at the house on South Bimini and a popular wreck just south of the island.
    sbimini.jpgwreck.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNKerrie View Post
    I agree. No LBO no ride across
    I've taken people who don't have LBO and no issue for me. They have to go check in at customs but did not interfere with my return by boat. Maybe I messed up but was serious storms in Riviera during return so stopping in the lightning was not a great option.
    Jupiter 29FS

If you have the LBO card you can file a float plan. In the float plan you list all crew on the boat, whether or not they have a LBO card.
    When you return you call in the float plan, the ones without LBO cards now have 24 hrs to check in with CBP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast