When should I take my vacation???
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When should I take my vacation???

Hello fellow fisherman!

This is my first post, so I'll give a little back round info as to why the seemingly strange question as to when I should schedule future vacations. I recently purchased a home in the Stuart FL area in close proximity to St Lucie inlet. I will have a 32 foot center console on a lift by the house and I'm looking to get into the offshore fishing scene that the area has to offer. Here is the catch.....I'm currently living overseas, and I will be limited to about 3 or 4 trips back to Florida per year. When I do make the trip back, I will be able to stay for a few weeks at a time. This situation will endure for about the next two years until I can make the move permanently and be in Florida year round. I have scoured the internet for information as to what species of fish bite best during various times of the year. The problem that I keep running into is that the information is highly contradictory in many instances. I fully realize that this may be because species such as dolphin, sailfish, king mackerel, wahoo ect... may have multiple runs throughout the year. I was hoping to generate some discussion among you long time locals as to your favorite times of year to target various species of the offshore fish in the area. I specifically hope to target sailfish, tuna (blackfin and yellowfin), wahoo, dolphin, king mackerel, and cobia.

SLI is a great place to fish out of for your target species especially with the boat you have, a 32 CC can cover some water, and between FPI and Jupiter is a great window.

Generally April - June is our good dolphin run (last year did not happen according to my trips and guys I know) and the weather is mostly SE winds. That wind direction is good for weed lines and making those gulf stream eddies which are the conditions for Mahi. A SE wind of 15-20 does not rough up the seas like those N or NE winds we get in fall so the weather window is better than fall.

Historically, I've seen more anglers with more and bigger fish back at the cutting table at the boat ramp, than any other time of year. In an average year, even guys I know that always complain about never catching fish, guys that use Walmart stinky pre rigged ballyhoo that spin in the spread, even these guys come back with some gaffers in the box during late spring Mahi run.

This time of year and fall in general can be awesome catching and you will if you can get out but typically October November it's NE at 15-20 with 6' + seas. NE wind will stir up the seas much more than SE. We did get out last Thursday and limited out on cobia but only one other day and that's the only day I got out offshore since end of September.

May-June is also great time to fish other side of the stream for yellowfin tuna.

Welcome to the area and good luck!

Thanks for the reply and the great info! May-June is an easy time for me to get back to Florida... If that is the best time to target sizeable mahi and yellowfin tuna on the other side of the gulf stream, it sounds like a no-brainer. That overlap between multiple species is exactly what I was hoping to hear about.. The way I look at it, the more species that are statistically hanging around during any one period, the better the chance that one of them will be biting. Congrats on the limit of cobia.....That will make a few great meals i'm sure.

March might be about the windiest month and in April, the winds are still around but starting to ease up. The bigger dolphin also begin to show up then and you've got the boat to stick your nose offshore on days when the smaller boats stay at the dock. That gives you 'room' to troll or to run-and-gun.

Don't forget about easy runs to West End to put yourself on the other side of the Stream for a few days straight.

Come August, you'll want to keep an eye towards Africa to see what systems may start brewing and coming this way. Even more so in Sept. Keeping a close eye from your home base overseas, you might actually save a trip of coming home if the Atlantic has a few things brewing....

Have fun and Welcome to the Forum!
    "Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."

I agree that April - June is typically a great time for pelagics as well as YFT on the other side, although the mahi didn't show up in numbers last spring. One more species to target is Atlantic red snapper, which rumor has it will open up for a limited season in July next year. It was open for the past two weekends but high winds and heavy seas prevented most boats from venturing out. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Thank you guys so much for your responses. I especially like the ability to tap into your local knowledge of not only the local fishing patterns, but the local weather patterns as well. Nothing more frustrating than taking time to go somewhere and fish for a few weeks and lose most of the days to wind and waves! As to the previous post regarding travel to West End and spending a few days on the Bahamas side of the gulf stream......It's on the list. I was planning on making the trip next time I'm back and staying at Old Bahama Bay or Bootle Bay for a few days of fishing. Most of the info I have pulled of the internet regarding that trip has been off of this forum. From what I have been able to decipher the key to that trip is to go south and fish the Northwest Providence Channel or to go north and fish the edge of the bank towards Memory Rock and the corner????

Quote Originally Posted by jtmpilot View Post
    As to the previous post regarding travel to West End and spending a few days on the Bahamas side of the gulf stream......It's on the list. I was planning on making the trip next time I'm back and staying at Old Bahama Bay or Bootle Bay for a few days of fishing. Most of the info I have pulled of the internet regarding that trip has been off of this forum. From what I have been able to decipher the key to that trip is to go south and fish the Northwest Providence Channel or to go north and fish the edge of the bank towards Memory Rock and the corner????
    Went there for the first time this past July. Fishing was amazing. Deep-dropped for Yellow-eyes & Silks. Missed the Queens but caught Yellow-Tail, Grouper, Snapper, Triggers, & Barracudas. Can't wait to go back. Stayed at Bootle Bay - Nice people, great food at the restaurant. They'll cook your catch too.

Pura Vida!

There is also Grand Cay at the north end of the Abacos. Rosie's Place has "rustic" accomodations and a great restaurant. Although the initial travel distance is farther, the daily run to catch pelagics is much shorter. There is also good bottom fishing and deep dropping. I took a two day trip to Rosies last April and YFT, BFT and Mahi were plentiful. We also had a double header of blue marlin, 150 and 350 pounds and jumped off a white marlin. It was rough, being April. This trip was actually a charter on a big sporty (Captain Pat Price). I only took my boat over once last year in June to Blue Marlin Cove. The wind was hard out of the south each day we were there so we never made the run south for YFT. We ran up by memory rock to spear, bottom fish, conch and deep drop each day. Never had much action trolling last year. Running north to the corner from west end is a long haul and I have never done it. I might run north to the corner on the last day of a trip and then head home to St. Lucie Inlet after hitting the YFT. I hope to make a few trips next year.

Welcome to the form and congratulation on the house and boat. The thing that you want is near impossible to for-fill in one post. I will fall back to my GO TO and recommend that you give E$ a call and book him for a trip on 2. Here is his byoBasic Information
    Signature

USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    emoney991@outlook.com

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/m...#ixzz4yWA7erIo
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"

Thanks again for all of the great info! I have seen numerous other posts in other threads about E-Money. Once I get back and have my schedule sorted out I am definitely gonna give him a call. All the other posts on the Bahamas has given me some good names and places to research and put together a trip in the near future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast