Lump Charcoal Problem
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Lump Charcoal Problem

Maybe i should take it back but too much of a PITA with trying to explain the problem for $7

Needed some lump charcoal, picked up some Publix stuff because I was there. The charcoal seemed very good, lots of good pieces etc. First try with it on my small kamado, the Butt had some strange taste from the smoke but not too bad. Last night I tried it with some salmon cooked very slow, it was awful, had a taste from the smoke or charcoal that tasted like burning creosote or oil, very very pungent and the smell from the cooker totally different like heavy, trash fire and literally smelled up my clothes.

Has anyone had these charcoal issues?

I do not use lump. Usual burns to hot and to fast for a smoker. I would try it more in a standard grill.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Funny the Kamado instructions say use lump. I have been using regular stuff because it was on sale at lowes last summer. You are right the publix stuff burned FAST and hotter. Maybe another brand of lump, but have not had good success with finding a GOOD brand, even tried BGE($$$$$) and it was mostly small pieces.

Stay away from Cowboy

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield