Thinking about getting a yak - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Good choices, and a solid starting point. Yes to sit-on-top, and definitely no to sit-inside style kayaks.
    I'm a Hobie fan myself (not sponsored), so I would have steered you towards a Hobie Compass ($2000 brand new) or a used Hobie Outback ($1500-2000 used). The Hobie Pro-Anglers are too heavy and damned expensive for me to get on board with.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!

I can get a like new Hobie Outback Mirage with the peddle drive used twice for a grand even. He said he paid like 2800 bucks out the door but just wants to get rid of it.
    Last edited by Spineyman; 11-13-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...ack-Kayak.html

This exact one right here., and same color for a grand, used twice.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

I was shocked at how much diffrence in paddling effort there can be between diffrent styles of hulls. I'd rather fish out of my 12' sit on but my 14' sit in flys in comparison with little effort. Still playing with the idea of putting a trolling motor on the 12' for hands free fishing. Less cost than purchasing a yak with pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by Spineyman View Post
    https://www.austinkayak.com/products...ack-Kayak.html

This exact one right here., and same color for a grand, used twice.
    Thats a incredible buy. wouldnt hesitate long

Quote Originally Posted by mlange View Post
    Thats a incredible buy. wouldnt hesitate long
    ^^^ this! That is a steal. I have two PA12’s and love em. Love my Hobies and have fished a OK Prowler 13 and a Jackson Cuda 14. Never again will I paddle! Ever! Go demo an Outback and buy your buds for a $1k. You’ll thank us later.
    Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Quote Originally Posted by davederb View Post
    ^^^ this! That is a steal. I have two PA12ís and love em. Love my Hobies and have fished a OK Prowler 13 and a Jackson Cuda 14. Never again will I paddle! Ever! Go demo an Outback and buy your buds for a $1k. Youíll thank us later.
    How do you have to store them with those flippers hanging out of the bottom?
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

I just spent 10 days on Sanibel. I have a short Hobie with mirage drive, but didn't take it this time. I rented Oceans twice, once to fish, once not. For fishing NOTHING beats a fishing Hobie. Trying to paddle out of a dock or mangroves with a snook or red on the line is just crapola pot pie. The Hobie provides way too many features to not get one. I am a minimalist fisherman, i.e. I try to take almost everything I need on my PFD, but I still have tools in the mesh bags, FAK velcroed into the hull, a built-in tackle box in the seat hatch, blah, blah, blah. NONE of those things were available on the Oceans I rented and the experience sucked. I had to put my pliers in a scupper hole and then spend 10 minutes getting the rust off them.

A $1k Outback? GRAB IT NOW!

The mirage drive is removable. It pops out in 2 seconds. It has to since you could damage it if you hit bottom. While the rudder isn't removable, it usually needs to be in the up position for launch/beach and in less than 12" of water to avoid damage.

Thanks for all the input from everyone! Here are the two choices I have narrowed it down to. If I decide to go with a paddle craft the first one is my final decision, and if I choose a pedal craft then the second one is my choice. I have two friends who use the pedal drive and absolutely love it. One of them was a Hobie man through and through. He actually had a paddle Hobie, and upgraded it to the pedal Hobie and then when the Old Town pedal craft came out, he switched over and said there is zero comparison. He is on the water more than anyone I know. At least 25 days a month he is fishing. So again thank you for all the help, I have definitely narrowed it down to those two, with the final decision coming in a few days. I do know everyone is saying I will not regret going pedal craft for sure. So honestly that is the way I am leaning now.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...ayak-2017.html

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...ive-Kayak.html
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

Like: Old Town Predator 13
    No like: Old Town Predator PDL. The pedal kayaks which have a prop drive are not as versatile for shallow water as Hobie kayaks. The Hobie kayaks can be half-kicked for shallow fin movement which keep the fins close up to the hull, however the prop drives are either extending down a foot or completely taken out of the water.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast