Which .223 ammo for hog hunting?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which .223 ammo for hog hunting?

My wife wants to come with me on the next hog hunt.
    She said she's not sure if she wants to take a shot or not but she wants to come.
    Since the only rifle she feels comfortable handling and shoots well is her AR carbine thats what she'll take along.
    I need some recommendation as to what ammo to use in the AR.
    It's an Rock River AR with 1/9" twist and I've heard I should keep the weight under 62gr due to the twist rate.
    Let me know whats available to use on hogs.

64 grain Winchester are accurate and lethal.

jacketed soft point's they worked great for armadillo's for me they just absolutly blow up I probably would take a head shot with that caliber but it would probably do the job on a nice meat pig or sow to 80 pound's or so for a body shot remember hog's are tough and dont bleed much or any at all at time's

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
    64 grain Winchester are accurate and lethal.
    Nosler 60gr partition

Barnes VOR 55gr TSX
    Suspect Formerly Known As RMB

Remember you are shooting a very small bullet. A bullet that will pass thru and hold its weight is imperative in small calibers, as your exit hole is going to be small to begin with. Any bullet that even implies it may be frangible should not even be considered(ballistic tips, sst's, etc)

AR's are very bullet sensitive, and it all depends on barrel length and twist rate. My gun loves the Barnes TSX 55gr. My buddy shoots 62gr Federal Fusions in his and his killed around 50+ hogs with his

It may take you a few brands and grain weights to find one it likes

I will second what Allen says and recommend something in either an all-copper design such as a Barnes TSX or something like the Nosler Partition. Unless your wife is a great shot she probably should keep shots under 50 yards. Bullet placement will be key with that caliber and keeping shots close will ensure a better shot and more penetration. Closer shots will also probably lessen the difficulty in finding a bullet that'll group well enough.

I second the 64 grain Win Power Point. That bullet was developed for shooting deer with the .223.

I just use the 62 grn mil surplus stuff. With a .223 / 5.56 you don't really need anything more than FMJ as the once the round is about 6 inches in it starts to tumble then explodes. I shot a hog at 30 yards in the head and only found a little pin ***** entrance hole with no exit and no blood from the wound. He dropped in his tracks. Shot placement is definitely the key though.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybusinessjr View Post
    I just use the 62 grn mil surplus stuff. With a .223 / 5.56 you don't really need anything more than FMJ as the once the round is about 6 inches in it starts to tumble then explodes. I shot a hog at 30 yards in the head and only found a little pin ***** entrance hole with no exit and no blood from the wound. He dropped in his tracks. Shot placement is definitely the key though.
    100% not true with a well designed bullet made for HUNTING

At my old lease I was witness to the carnage of 3 different kids and a woman kill their very first deer with the same rifle (old H&R single shot 223) and everyone had an exit and massive blood trails. furthest deer ran 20 steps

Like I said before, its not the best choice for deer hunting. If your bullets are tumbling and exploding, you are using the wrong ammo brother

Quote Originally Posted by AllenR View Post
    100% not true with a well designed bullet made for HUNTING

At my old lease I was witness to the carnage of 3 different kids and a woman kill their very first deer with the same rifle (old H&R single shot 223) and everyone had an exit and massive blood trails. furthest deer ran 20 steps

Like I said before, its not the best choice for deer hunting. If your bullets are tumbling and exploding, you are using the wrong ammo brother
    Agree with the Barnes and Partition suggestions, or the Fusion or Power Points.

I have personally seen some .223 FMJ bullets recovered from pigs and the biggest issue I have seen is defelection off of bone. For instance, the bullet will hit broadside and then hit shoulder or a rib and instead of plowing through it, the long pointed bullet deflects as much as 45 degrees and ends up nowhere near where it should have to hit the vitals. Some of the bullets we've recovered had not fragmented at all; instead they were still long and pointed but curved like a banana. This was M193 55gr 5.56NATO. M855 62gr "green tip" will be just as bad of not worse.

Saying that a .223 caused sufficient internal bleeding to kill an animal isn't a surprise; the problem is tracking it with a small entrance wound and no exit.

A soft point bullet that begins to mushroom won't deflect like this or at least the probability is much lower. Stick to the advice given in the posts above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast