Red snapper count
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red snapper count

I have a felling I know where this is probably going to go, but Ill post it anyway. Below is a link to the "Myfishcount" app. I would ask all that have even thought about going out for Red snapper last weekend and this weekend to please download this and record any and all data. Even if you werent able to go out due to weather, please record that. Believe it or not, this data will go a long way to letting us get an even longer season next year.

https://www.myfishcount.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mossyo View Post
    Believe it or not, this data will go a long way to letting us get an even longer season next year.

https://www.myfishcount.com/
    Common sense ain't so common anymore.

Hmmmmmm.............

I plan to record every toss back on every trip out as long as the let me, long after the season closed.
    New to Saltwater fishing
    Why is it always so dang bumpy out here!!

Quote Originally Posted by DocRon View Post
    I plan to record every toss back on every trip out as long as the let me, long after the season closed.
    You do understand that their stated reason for not letting us have a season last year was because we killed more by accident (throwbacks), than they would of allowed us to keep had we had a season.

They call them "discards".

But go ahead and throw gas on the fire if you like.....they already made their decisions long ago anyway.

So... one of the main reasons for this is because there has been not eh best data to this point. There is a ratio (albeit flawed) for dead discards of number of fish that survive at a given depth etc... However, when there is not official reported catch due to the closed seasons, thats a very hard number to determine accurately. We all know that the population is strong and there there are plenty of fish, but with no reported catch is difficult to relate via science and data. The more catches that are reported and reported released and swim away freely at a variety of depths, he better it is for everyone.

"they already made their decisions long ago anyway"

not sure what your definition of "long ago" is, but these past two seasons were decided upon about a month or so ago. There is actually even talk of opening up another season in December if what they think has happened has actually happened which is quite a few people left at the dock due to the weather...

Even if everyone participated in the survey, the probability of those survey's being answered truthfully is about the same as the number of people that went offshore fishing this past weekend.

There is actually even talk of opening up another season in December if what they think has happened has actually happened which is quite a few people left at the dock due to the weather...
    Have they given any thought to how many people were "left at the dock" due to their only being so generous as to provide a whole one weeks notice as to what the "seasons" dates would be. Actions speak louder than words.

You are correct that with no reported catch it is hard to measure actual "fishing effort & success rate" which would be useful for managing the state and health of the fishery.

But lucky for them you are now collecting data on "demand for the fishery"........which correlates to everyone who even would have liked to try to go but for whatever reason just didn't make it. That data also won't be very useful for judging the state and health of the fishery.

But it sure will help them determine what they think the monetary value of a "catch shares" or "fish tag" fishery will be.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBumpkin View Post

But lucky for them you are now collecting data on "demand for the fishery"........which correlates to everyone who even would have liked to try to go but for whatever reason just didn't make it. That data also won't be very useful for judging the state and health of the fishery.

but, but.......
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

There is actually even talk of opening up another season in December if what they think has happened has actually happened which is quite a few people left at the dock due to the weather...
    A couple of token days is not a season it's a joke, a slap in the face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast