Cobia regs East Florida Atlantic
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Cobia regs East Florida Atlantic

I was told that our Florida East coast, recreational, Atlantic Federal waters minimum size for cobia has changed and have found conflicting information on the subject. The SAFMC site shows 2/person, 36" min. The SAFMC app shows 36" and 2/person per day, but it also states 1/person per day, 6 per boat under the Federal waters rules. Fish Rules app shows 33" and 2/person per day for Federal waters. My gut says that the correct rule is 36" and 2/person per day in Federal waters???

Sate rules still show up as 33" and 1/person per day, 6 per boat max. Is this also correct?

Thanks in advance,

Rene
    Last edited by zerepener; 11-06-2017 at 07:46 PM.

33" to fork and 1 per person, six per boat in Atlantic coast state waters.

33" to fork and 2 per person in federal Atlantic waters off the east coast of Florida.

Was given a link to the new rule. Apparently changed Sep. 5 of this year. Here is the link:

http://safmc.net/regulations/regulat...ecies/cobia-2/

Fed waters are now 1/person/day, 6/boat max, 36" min size. State appears unchanged at 1/person/day, 6/boat, 33".

Rene

Quote Originally Posted by zerepener View Post
    Was given a link to the new rule. Apparently changed Sep. 5 of this year. Here is the link:

http://safmc.net/regulations/regulat...ecies/cobia-2/

Fed waters are now 1/person/day, 6/boat max, 36" min size. State appears unchanged at 1/person/day, 6/boat, 33".

Rene
    You need to read the link you posted more thoroughly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by notreely View Post
    You need to read the link you posted more thoroughly!!!
    Here is the relevant text that I was reading:

Recreational:

CLOSED, effective January 24, 2017. The closure applies to Atlantic migratory group cobia (GA through NY) only. The fishery will remain closed through December 31, 2017.
    Note: NMFS implements accountability measures (AMs) for Atlantic migratory group cobia that are not sold (recreational) in the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) of the Atlantic. In 2015 and 2016, recreational landings of Atlantic migratory group cobia (Atlantic cobia) exceeded the stock annual catch limit (ACL), and therefore, AMs for the recreational sector are triggered for 2017. NMFS closes the recreational sector for Atlantic cobia in Federal waters on January 24, 2017, and it will remain closed for the remainder of the fishing year through December 31, 2017. This closure is necessary to protect the resource of Atlantic cobia. For more information, see:
    Federal Register Notice 82 FR 8363
    NOAA Fishery Bulletin
    Size Limit: 36 inch fork length (as specified in Coastal Migratory Pelagics Framework Amendment 4, effective September 5, 2017)
    Trip Limit: 1 per person per day or 6 fish per vessel per day, whichever is more restrictive, in all federal waters of the South Atlantic (as specified in Coastal Migratory Pelagics Framework Amendment 4)
    Regulatory Remarks:
    Drift gillnets are prohibited.
    Must be landed with head and fins intact
    Minimum size limit=36" Fork Length; Daily possession limit =1 per person.
    FWC Division of Law Enforcement uses the following guidelines for possession limits in FL state waters:
    A person who is observed fishing in state waters is subject to state rules.
    A person who claims to have fished in federal waters and returns to port without stopping in state waters (and thus is not observed fishing in state waters) is subject to federal regulations.
    A person who claims to have fished in federal waters, but who is observed fishing in state waters, is presumed to have caught the fish in state waters and will be subject to state rules.
    One day possession limit.
    Charter/headboats require a permit for Coastal Migratory Pelagics.
    Annual Catch Limit (ACL) – This species is managed under an ACL. See current information on Recreational ACLs from NOAA Fisheries.

I can't see what I'm missing?? If this is a real rule change, it's really strange because of the lack of notification, but it seems real from what I can find. I only posted in this forum hoping that a representative from law enforcement would chime in and clarify it. My SAFMC app says that it's 36" as well but is unclear on 1 or 2 per person and the boat limit. Commercial is still 33" though with a 2/person 6/boat limit. Just trying to stay up on the rules.

Rene

The changes you reference are only implemented in the Atlantic Group which is from Georgia northward to New York. Florida east coast is managed under the Gulf Group and therefore not subject to the modifications. I hope this helps clear it up for you.