Got a BGE

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a BGE

Got a BGE

Been looking for one for a couple months now. I couldn't really justify the money on a new one, so I kept my eyes on craigslist. Seems as soon as one pops up for sale, its gone within hours

This one popped up over a month ago. The guy was kind of weird and wouldn't call me. Anyways, after 5 weeks of swapping emails, I went to look at it yesterday

I threw out a low ball figure, thinking worst he could say is no. He immediately said ok. Lmao, said help me get it in the truck

2 hernia's later, I got it in the yard. It needed a good cleaning, so I did a quick scrub down with course sandpaper to knock all the soot off. Cleaned out all the old lump, got all the ash out, thoroughly cleaned grate, and installed a new felt lid gasket. He did not have the ceramic plate setter, so I need to get one of them as well as a new grate

I couldn't stand it and had to cook something on it last night. I bought steaks but decided against possibly ruining them on my maiden voyage...Glad I didn't cook them, as this is definitely a learning curve

First off, I had a hechuva time getting it lit. I bought some cheap winnDixie fire starters for now. Not sure if it was them, or the bag of BGE lump is old. Finally had to dig thru my tool box and find my little torch that screws on a 1# propane tank.
    That seemed to do the trick. Then I closed the lid and vents too quickly, and snuffed the fire out

Once I got it fired up and going, I was absolutely amazed at how quickly the temp would rise from 250 to 700 in a matter of a minute

Anyway, after about 7 beers I figured out it out sorta and plopped 4 burgers seasoned with sea salt and fresh pepper on it, and closed it up at around 500. Added a few slivers of orange tree wood for a little smoke

I can tell you these were some of the best burgers we have ever had. Absolutely amazing flavor. Once I get the hang of this thing, I think I am going to really enjoy it

I am open for any pointers or tips you can give on cooking on these things

Well, one more cook and you'll be addicted !! I've had mine for about 1 1/2 years. Still learning though !! Keep an eye on the Green Egg Forum and you will pick up some great recipes and also any questions you come across. The "surch" section will answer near anything you come across. The plate setter is a necessary accessory. Another is "the raised grill" which is a grill with three levels and the upper levels puts your food cooking high in the dome area. I bought a Guru but now seldom use it since people on this forum have taught me to cook pulled pork to perfection in four to five hours. A big learning factor is to know how to "stabilize" and KNOW what "stabilized" means. After this learning point most of your cooks are automatic because you KNOW what your egg will do ..... Good luck with your new toy..............

Senior Member Capt'n. Chumbucket's Avatar
    Are you going to keep us in suspense or make us mad by telling us what the "low ball figure" you threw to him ?

AllenR,
    I'm gonna give you a sure fire dinner recipe that will blow you away using your egg. This is a pulled pork recipe served with black beans over white rice. Follow this recipe.

The cooking of the pork will be on your egg and take Four to six hours. Just did a 7 pounder that took 4 1/2 hours. You will need your plate setter in place and a foil lined drippings pan on top (empty). Your grill will be at the gasket's heigth. This pulled pork will actually have a "beefy" taste and will go "hand in hand" with the black beans because it is made with a beef broth. Inject the pork butt with Lowry's Tariaki marinate and don't be shy with the marinate. I use "Bad Bryon's" rub on the outside of the butt -- lightly coated. This needs to be done at least two hours before you start the cook, or overnight. Load your lump and get your egg "stabilized" -- "stabilized" meaning the outside is the same temperature as the inside(takes about 30 minutes). I use pecan wood for smoking, but oak is fine, this should be soaked in water a few hours before the start of the cook to give a maximum period of smoke to the first part of the cook. Your starting temperature is going to be 375 to 400 degrees. Place your soaked wood chips on the outside edges of your lump coals hoping to produce smoke for two hours. You will maintain this temperature, or try to maintain this temperature for the entire cook. Once your egg "stabilizes" after the butt is put on the grill -- you have two hours to do nothing but maintain the temperature(375 to 400 degrees). Sometimes you will never get back to 400 degrees due to the load of the cold pork butt places on your egg. After you get used to controlling your egg's temperature and gain confidence in your ability to "maintain", you can go do something else during this time. Thats when i get my black beans started:

This is my “Black Beans and Rice” recipe we use over white rice and served with Pulled Pork

1 1/2 heads of fresh garlic chopped fine (not cloves)
    1/8 cup olive oil
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 green pepper chopped
    1 yellow or red pepper chopped
    3 cans black beans (unseasoned) undrained
    1 packet Goya Sazon Seasoning (orange package)
    1 can beef broth

Sauté in olive oil until soft – onions, green and red/yellow peppers and garlic
    Add balance of products and bring to a boil --- lower heat and simmer for one hour

Serve over white rice , along with pulled pork – garnish with chopped green onions

At the end of two hours, remove the pork butt from the egg and wrap in two layers of heavy foil, the idea is to prevent loosing any liquid. Place the wrapped pork butt back on the grill and continue to cook until the internal meat temperature reaches 210 degrees. You will need a method to determine the internal temperature -- food monitor or some kind of probe -- i use a Thermopin -- very fast acting and the probe is long enough to reach the center of the butt. Remove the wrapped butt from the egg and place in a cooler . I use a small cooler just large enough to hold the butt. Now don't open this cooler until you are ready to eat, and it can remain in this cooler for four of five hours and stay "steaming" hot, so done worry about heating anything up! The minimum time in the cooler is one hour.

When your black beans and rice are ready, and your ready for a great meal, open the cooler and shred the pork butt using two table forks (the pork will shred easily provided you reached the finishing temperature of 210 degrees) . Combine any liquid in the foil with the pulled pork. serve on the side of the black beans and rice...................
    I have done this recipe seven times and given it to people who can't believe how good it is. And fairly simple -- two hours of smoke --- back on the grill wrapped until 210 degrees!!
    Last edited by charlie tuna; 11-14-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Thank you sir. I will definitely give it a try. I have always done butts at like a 225 for a low and slow, but after reading all these threads lately for the quicker cook, I am going to give that method a try

I got a chicken, pack of wild pork sausage, and a couple taters on the egg now

Capn chum....I got the whole pissin match for $350. He was asking $550, I offered him that and he took it

I've had a BGE for a few years... love it. Invest in a mapp tourch. Best way to light a BGE. Just hit your lump with the torch for about 30 seconds and then leave it open for a few minutes and you're set.

AllenR,
    I too was a believer of "low and slow" and the results were great --- but after some help from Flash and a few other board members i tried this "wrapped method" and it is just as good and a heck of a lot easier than cooking throughout the night(21 and 26 hour cooks). When you see how fast the internal temperature increases when wrapped - it will make a believer out of you. Something like a degree every one and a half minutes!! I had some company come by Thursday and when they came in the house they could smell the black beans simmering, but asked where's the pork??? I pointed to the cooler on the kitchen counter..... They said it was the best pork they had ever tasted !!! I'll give you $400 for it if you throw in the chicken !!
    PS: I see you wasted little time finding the plate setter !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    I've had a BGE for a few years... love it. Invest in a mapp tourch. Best way to light a BGE. Just hit your lump with the torch for about 30 seconds and then leave it open for a few minutes and you're set.
    That's a great deal. Here are a few tips. One, cover your plate setter with some heavy duty alum. foil. Easier to keep clean.

As for lump, go to Wally World and buy Royal Oak. Basically $6 for a 10 lb bag. BGE lump is made by Royal Oak and much more expensive.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985

Thanks for the tip about Royal Oak, I'll give it a try next time I buy. My wife works for a BGE retailer and I get everything for only 10% over cost and the BGE charcoal is still way high.

Then we can buy our "STUFF" from you at a discount --- great. I'm lowering my price --- $375. includes what ever is left of the chicken???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast