Drone captures boat capsizing in Jupiter inlet - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    21ft sea hunt ultra and I came very close to this scenario going through the BBI. I had a passenger in the front who could have touched the water. 4 people total on the boat it was not heavy. I was coming in slow and careful with bow up as much as possible.
    Its crazy to see how fast that went down. Good thing that drone pilot was there so we can all learn from this unfortunate situation.

He was a commercial guy with a load of kings in the bow.

Even if he had 1,000# of kings on ice, the boat should still not have went to the bottom the way it did. Fish & ice are pretty close to neutrally buoyant. Boats that size are supposed to be built with level flotation. After the boat swamped from taking the water over the bow, it should have stayed on top & continued to float. That boat must either have waterlogged flotation foam or excess equipment on board. Something made it negatively buoyant.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPB View Post
    Even if he had 1,000# of kings on ice, the boat should still not have went to the bottom the way it did. Fish & ice are pretty close to neutrally buoyant.
    1,000# of any thing is still 1,000#s. Being neutrally buoyant would only have meaning once submerged. At that point there was more than enough water inside the gunnels to keep it under water. In fact the space that was vacated by the floating fish boxes was replace by water instantly.

Stay Safe,

Chris

Jim might of meant something like this:

https://youtu.be/68AOltMu768

Even after "submarining", it has buoyancy.

A few people have already mentioned it but it is amazing how fast it went down. I grew up on Lake Erie and Georgian Bay and have seen boating accidents (fires, etc) but never saw one go down that fast. I make my wife wear an inflatable PFD when we go out in the ocean I guess I'll be buying a 2nd one for me.

Just use hers

JUP is my home inlet. Ive jogged though there in everything from a 21' to a 65'. Sometimes its no fun. My 'worst' was a 25 center console; totslly flat day, idling out inlet setting up dive gear, look up and here comes a freight train set that I had to floor it and still got stood up on end. And it was a 'nice' day out. Winter is worse... easing a 65 thru 8 foot breakers will keep you on your toes.

have local knowledge and confidence in your skillset, and if your unsure, dont risk it.

If I were to arm-chair captain this, my first thought is the boat was overloaded for the conditions, but whatever the case, im glad the captain came out relatively unscathed. It can happen anyhwere anytime. Just a couple days ago I lit out of Ocean City MD delivering a 70 to Florida and with 6-8's on the stern, a 9+ came out of nowwhere and the boat fell off the face faster than I could even react and we went for Mr. Toad's wild ride....

Stay safe
    USCG Licensed Captain, 100T Masters, STCW/BST, PADI Rescue Diver
    Offshore Fishing/Diving & Charter Services, Bahamas/Caribbean Travel, Deliveries, Maintenance/Refits
    Scott@runyourboat.com
    www.runyourboat.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12