Drone captures boat capsizing in Jupiter inlet
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drone captures boat capsizing in Jupiter inlet

Hadn't seen this posted, if it has I apologize

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/10/...ng-rescue.html
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Saw that a few days ago. For me, being a new (saltwater) boater and Jupiter being my home inlet, it definitely had me thinking. I know its a small boat, but why was his bow so low? Coolers full? Water in the boat? I just cant understand how easy that bow speared without something else going on.

Few times I have came in and it was outgoing and rough, I tried to keep the bow high and ride the back of the wave in front of me. Looks like he was surfing and maybe that pushed his bow down? Scary situation and I hope to never be in, glad he was ok and able to swim out.

If any of you old schoolers have some knowledge to impart, I would definitely be all ears. Very scary situation.

What looked like to me happened was he was on the bottom of a swell and he throttled back, then the swell took over the transom and pushed it down into the wave in front of him. Article said it doesn't have sound be he throttled back when he crested the wave. Sounds like just inexperience in a very dangerous inlet.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Regardless of decisions and events that lead up to this incident. Just look at how fast it went bad.

We hear all the time about how fast things can happen on the ocean. In the clip I saw, it only took 15 seconds to crest the top of the wave until it was under water. 15 seconds!

So my question is HOW FAST can you get your PFD out of your T Bag and put it on? How fast can you attach your kill switch lanyard? How fast can you tell the crew to get their PFD out of the hatch and show them how to put it on? How fast can you reach into the console and find your PLB? How fast can you find where the flares are stored? How fast can you turn on the VHF and get off a May Day with a location?

When you get disconnected from the boat, you only get to use what your wearing to save yourself.

Stay Safe,

Chris

I thought it might be an inexperienced boater but according to people I know they say he is an experienced commercial guy... maybe all the weight in the bow contributed, and from the angle of the video it looks like it could have been avoided but I'm sure if the guy was experienced like they say, it probably wasn't... should have come in PB but once your committed of course, there is no turning around ...unfortunate but at least he was ok...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, it was posted earlier this week i effed up in reposting it. But things did go from sketchy to life threatening in a couple of heartbeats. In conditions like that I think i'd have everyone in my boat have their pfd on before heading through the inlet. Probably on the way out as well.

Looks like he might have still had his trim tabs buried from running in. Wow that sucks

First problem is having a low freeboard boat in the ocean. Second problem is that the guy came off plane when he needed the added lift. Third, it looks like the boat was a bit heavy. The bilge may have been full of water. That would partially explain why the boat did not continue to float & shed water after taking the water over the bow. There may be more to it than that. I was under the impression that all boats that size were required to be built with level flotation.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPB View Post
    First problem is having a low freeboard boat in the ocean. Second problem is that the guy came off plane when he needed the added lift. Third, it looks like the boat was a bit heavy. The bilge may have been full of water. That would partially explain why the boat did not continue to float & shed water after taking the water over the bow. There may be more to it than that. I was under the impression that all boats that size were required to be built with level flotation.
    I'm going to agree with Jim. There was too much weight in the bow, if the bilge was full of water it would have moved forward with the down angle. That bow should have not buried like that. Glad the guy is alright.
    It was amazing how a average day can turn shait in a matter of seconds. How many times have we puckered up a little going through that inlet with out the life jacket. Time to rethink the attitude towards the wearing the life jacket. Soda Popinski is on the money.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"

Obsession you nailed it for me. Just realized I have gone through there a few times now with puckered feeling since getting the new boat. One of those times was definitely a no go situation and thankfully I made it out, and was able to turn around and come back. But we didnt have our PFD's on or anything. Made the mistake of following a much bigger boat and thinking it was ok for me too.

From now on, I will follow that exact mindset. If its not on you, or at least REAL dang close, its not coming with you in an emergency. PFD on when running and going to be buying a ditch bag to keep close. Things like this really make you wake up and realize how fast and loose you can get when you are too comfortable.
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast