SLI unhealthy fish
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SLI unhealthy fish

Did some afternoon fishing today. Had the usual mix bag of snappers, lost a snook, red, Jack's and some others. Got this puffer fish by the inlet and he did not look healthy as it had some skin issue. I am guessing from the nasty water we are dealing with

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    It works 60% of the time all the time......

How is the water quality in the indian or st lucie river?

That thing is messed up. The weird coloration is one thing but the open wounds...I hope this is an isolated incident and that we don't see more of this. Thanks for the intel op.
    East Boynton

Quote Originally Posted by hhfisherman View Post
    How is the water quality in the indian or st lucie river?

From what i have been told it is bad in both places. When we were in the pocket and by the inlet water looked nasty. Also saw some dead fish floating

Quote Originally Posted by Flfjack View Post
    That thing is messed up. The weird coloration is one thing but the open wounds...I hope this is an isolated incident and that we don't see more of this. Thanks for the intel op.
    Unfortunately, i have seen other fish pics posted on other sites with lesions.

The water is brown from a variety of reasons (lake dumping, rain runoff, blah blah blah), but there are still some fish around. I was out yesterday, fished the inlet and some of the docks and seawalls and small bridges near the SLI and there were plenty of tarpon rolling and snook blowing up on mullet. I watched one snook bust a school so hard it flipped a couple mullet up on the seawall. Lots of jacks!! Didn't see any dead fish all day.

Kids fished near the rosavelt bridge Saturday and Sunday. They caught about 20 catfish. Water is dark dark coffee. Underwater lights can't penetrate more than 3-6 inches. No deformities seen.

I agree that the effects of long time abuse of our estuaries is a total disgrace. However in this instance it appears to be injuries from a predator which is fairly common for checkered puffers during their spawning cycle which recently occured.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Usedtobeeasy View Post
    I agree that the effects of long time abuse of our estuaries is a total disgrace. However in this instance it appears to be injuries from a predator which is fairly common for checkered puffers during their spawning cycle which recently occured.
    The river has been destroyed by the unabated discharges and pollution and likely has irreversible damages. Used to fish topwater for mangrove snappers before the decline! Just got back from fishing the lush grass flats and islands in the Pamilico Sounds. What a joy to sight fish to schools of redfish and watch the gills flare when they attacked the Gold spoons and DOAs. I hope someday the grass flats come back and we will be able sight fish on the Indian RIVER again
    Last edited by THE"U"; 10-21-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

water in the indian literally looks like piss. Cast netted some mullet the other day and couldn't even tell they were mullet as they darted around in the net on the way down. They looked orange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast