Porgies and b-liners as bait
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Porgies and b-liners as bait

Any good for middle grounds grouper? Thanks!

Not to be a downer, but I believe it isn't legal to use reef fish as bait. Both are considered reef fish, but "hypothetically speaking" I'd think they would work.

Looks like you are correct..thanks. Oddly, I've been on a headboat trips where they encouraged the use of b-liners for AJ's and I've seen them butterflied ; hence my question.

We won't mention any names. I've also heard that little lane snapper make great bait. Must've been in the Bahamas or something...

I understand they have to be legal keeping size and go towards your bag limit?

I have also "heard" they make great baits, the bigger the better, if you think its too big, your hooks too small

Key Largo (Mostly)/Miami(As little as possible)
    Used to commercial fish grouper and can tell you that B-Liners were the go-to bait. Used to call them Gold Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJ View Post
    Used to commercial fish grouper and can tell you that B-Liners were the go-to bait. Used to call them Gold Fish.
    I've heard back in the day goldfish were the best bait there is for largemouth bass. But again, pretty non-legal.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewthe1 View Post
    I understand they have to be legal keeping size and go towards your bag limit?

I have also "heard" they make great baits, the bigger the better, if you think its too big, your hooks too small
    Nope. Using "reef fish" for bait is forbidden (at least in federal waters, not sure about state) no matter if it is within your bag limit. The size/bag limit for bait applies to things like spanish mackerel and such.

They are great bait, call them "GUM DROPS".

Quote Originally Posted by Kokosing Lover View Post
    Nope. Using "reef fish" for bait is forbidden (at least in federal waters, not sure about state) no matter if it is within your bag limit. The size/bag limit for bait applies to things like spanish mackerel and such.
    I'm pretty sure that although you are correct for Gulf waters......South Atlantic doesn't have that "reef fish" blanket wording.

Not unless they added it here recently.
    Common sense ain't so common anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast