Yankee Capts Mutton Marathon 10/06 - 10/09
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Yankee Capts Mutton Marathon 10/06 - 10/09

Six totes mostly yellow tail for 20 -22 people. I had one 15 lb mutton, a few nice mangroves and dozen or so yellow tail. Sorry no pictures. I should probably stop here but I'll go on. The weather forecast was up and down all week but by Thursday it was looking pretty decent. I called around to locate some goggle eyes for bait but due to the lousy weather the last few weeks nobody had any. I finally located some frozen speedos and picked up some balleyhoo.

When we arrived Greg said the weather had changed again and instead of leaving at 10 pm we would be leaving at 2 am. He turned the AC on and most of us got some sleep only to wake up about 7 am still tied to the dock. I said "most", a few folks decided to kill time on Duval Street. From the way they looked on Saturday morning, I made a mental note to myself that it probably wasn't a good idea. We finally left the dock about 10:30 am and made it to the Marquesas, with a weather report promising nice weather Saturday afternoon/evening. We anchored in shallow pea soup looking water for about 6 hours. It was so murky even the yellow tails weren't biting. Based on a promising weather report Greg decided to push on a little further but it was pretty much more of the same. The weather report kept changing,delaying a drop in the wind, but it was Sunday night before it finally laid down. The fishing was pretty slow throughout the whole trip. The wind/weather was never so bad that it wasn't fishable; the fish just weren't biting (probably due to the murky water). A few mutton were caught here and there along with a couple decent mangrove snapper. There were several cobia caught but I believe only one was legal to keep. The majority of the catch consisted of smallish size yellow tails.

As usual the crew, Lyndon, Mike and KC, did everything they could to make the trip enjoyable but they can't make the fish bite. Chad, Chef de Yankee Capts, provided some of the best meals I have ever eaten off a paper plate. (Actually the plate was plastic) On the way in I believe Greg surprised everyone when he announced that he was going to credit everyone with a free 3 day trip because of the crappy fishing and conditions. That is customer service Yankee Capts style.

As a side note, there was a lot of clean-up going on but as far as I could tell the Keys are open for business and need our support.
    Last edited by Xaf; 10-10-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks for writing the report Bob. Sometimes the weather just doesn't co-operate. Been there myself on a few trips and Greg has always lessened the pain and improved morale with some credit toward a future trip. Ultimately, the trips get judged by the size and number of fish at the dock, but there is so much more to these trips that is an unseen bonus.
    If you can learn how to convince a few fish to bite under tough conditions, those skills will go a long way to fill your cooler on a normal trip. Probably half of my social media friends are fishermen or crew I've met on the Yankee Capts over the past seven years, good people.
    I don't get to the Keys for a couple more weeks, but it is a relief to know there is fishing happening and that you didn't catch them all yet. Good to see you got out Bob.

greg is tuned up!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's -LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt. Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Bareboat & custom Charters - LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING, LOBSTER dives, GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO+TUNA
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...08182519302079

Senior Member latitudeajustment's Avatar
    They are a great outfit and we have always enjoyed getting "beat up" at the Tortugas, just a great time and thanks for your post.

I am still dealing with roof damage but good to know people are visiting the Keys, every little dollar will help with the recovery. Kudos to Captain Greg and his crew as well, just awesome people.

One thing you can expect from the Yankee Capts, he will tell you when fishing was good and when it wasn't and Greg will describe what he tried and if it worked or if it didnt work. I have searched most longer-range boats in both coasts of Florida whether they go to the middle grounds, to the north of the dry tortugas or to Cape Canaveral, and you wil solely read about their outstanding catching success. With Greg you get the real deal and real fishermen take notice of that and keep coming back. The YC page of past catches speaks for itself. Getting a rain check or another trip at no charge when Mother Nature shows it's ugly head is what Greg does.
    Last edited by Hoogan; 10-12-2017 at 05:07 AM.

I was on that trip in the stern (Eric) I got a 10 lb mutton and 3 other smaller ones plus mangos and yellowtail. I had a good time on the trip but I take time to enjoy the view and the ride too. I was surprised and happy to get a comp trip

Nice gesture!

Pura Vida!

Quote Originally Posted by Paramount21 View Post
    I was on that trip in the stern (Eric) I got a 10 lb mutton and 3 other smaller ones plus mangos and yellowtail. I had a good time on the trip but I take time to enjoy the view and the ride too. I was surprised and happy to get a comp trip
    Great approach, it’s about the entire experience, nights anchored up in the Dry Tortugas on the Yankee Capts with the lights towards the water on a calmer night watching all the flying fish, the schools of electric brown squids, the sea snakes swimming on the surface and the porpoises with their dance around the boat while waiting out that thump from the mutton is priceless.

Thanks for posting a report Bob!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Hoogan View Post
    it’s about the entire experience, nights anchored up in the Dry Tortugas on the Yankee Capts with the lights towards the water........
    While fishing out there with Capt Yuri, it's always easy to see the Yankee all lit up....even from miles away!

"I see the Titanic is out here again with us", I usually say to my 5 buddies......

On an even keel of course!

"Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."