Anyone been north in pine channel to upper harbor?
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone been north in pine channel to upper harbor?

Got the boat cleaned up and fired up this weekend. Picked our way through the canal and buzzed north on pine channel toward upper harbor area.

Tide was medium level - not high not low, and in the area where you have to cut across between the two mangrove islands (near the back way to the content). It looked like new bars formed blocking the way through.

Did not want to run the big boat through it and turned around. Question - has anyone run that channel? Is it blocked or was I just seeing churned up mud?

Thanks, bo

Ps - how awesome to run the boat again and relax a bit. Went back south and out past little palm. Our water is still beautiful out there. No matter what happens we are blessed!
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl

yep be careful
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's -LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt. Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Bareboat & custom Charters - LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING, LOBSTER dives, GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO+TUNA
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...08182519302079

Tell me more Harlan. Can you still navigate through there with a boat bigger than a skiff?

I am sure the changes out there are radical. I swear I saw dry land where fairly deep water used to be. I turned around because my Parker is a solid 18 inch draft on plane.

wow we finally launched today after bringing shovels to the boat ramp on 4a and cleaned the ramp. ran out to little palm and back around by coupon. what a mess. The channel is good from the bridge by dolphin marina or what use to be, all the way out newfound harbor clear

Yes it is open to the mouth of the bite. Little palm is a pretty sad sight

.72CB3067-7F9A-4E7E-861C-D21497B31F0D.jpg72CB3067-7F9A-4E7E-861C-D21497B31F0D.jpg
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl

Quote Originally Posted by woodytoo View Post

Tide was medium level - not high not low, and in the area where you have to cut across between the two mangrove islands (near the back way to the content). It looked like new bars formed blocking the way through.
    This is the E/W cut through at the south end of Water keys? Now not passable? Did your idle over to see? Perhaps just floating mats looking like a bar?

do it but travel slow w/ all eyes on deck at water-i have seen submerged boats, mangroves, dock lumber, etc.
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's -LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt. Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Bareboat & custom Charters - LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING, LOBSTER dives, GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO+TUNA
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...08182519302079

Yes that is the cut I was referring to. Did not get a good look I didnít want to come off a plane in the Parker. It sure looked like mud to me, can not confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by woodytoo View Post
    Yes that is the cut I was referring to. Did not get a good look I didnít want to come off a plane in the Parker. It sure looked like mud to me, can not confirm.
    I have run that hundreds of times over many years. If that cut is now not passable it will be a extremely inconvenient not to mention create lots of extra running inefficiencies. I suspect it is still good as there was never any issue there in any previous storm and its about 2' at most low tides if you run it correctly. There is a long bar that will expose sometimes that runs NW to SE parallel with the correct line to near the south end of water key and maybe that is what you saw at a distance with some weeds piled up on it. If you run just south of that between the two keys there has always been enough water for a skiff although it can get tight at dead low. I won't be running that area until later this month to check.

As have I - run that channel for years with big and small boats. That is why i asked the question, I did not like what I saw and was looking for a confirmation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast