Stop Sea Piracy
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Thread: Stop Sea Piracy

Stop Sea Piracy

Saw this pop up on Facebook and was curious of others thoughts? I know there are always two sides to every story.

https://stopseapiracy.com
    It works 60% of the time all the time......

From what I understand, you get off the boat it becomes salvage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
    From what I understand, you get off the boat it becomes salvage.
    I remember hearing something about that in the past. I think that is one of the reasons the tow/salvage companies are so quick to attach a line to the boat as once they are hooked to it and no one is there it becomes theirs. I could be wrong.

If you read one of the stories on the site the guy never left the boat but they still claimed it was a salvage operation and not a general tow.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......

Certain tow companies have earned their reputation for 'ripping off' boaters when it comes time to determine what is a tow, a salvage, a vessel in peril, etc.

Having personally exoerienced a bad tow situation from a big provider of tow services, I can wholeheartedly recommend Boat US over their popular competitor.

I think Boat US still has a printable form/contract you should have aboard just in case.
    Always, PRIOR to a tow line thrown, agree with tow service as to WHAT type of tow is happening, as their are several types/situations with varying levels of expense.
    USCG Licensed Captain, 100T Masters, STCW/BST, PADI Rescue Diver
    Offshore Fishing/Diving & Charter Services, Bahamas/Caribbean Travel, Deliveries, Maintenance/Refits
    Scott@runyourboat.com
    www.runyourboat.com

Good info Scott thanks. I ditched the 'competitor' a couple years ago (heard some horror stories) - Glad I did

Pura Vida!

I have been towed by Sea Tow 2 times in the last 15 years (been a member for 20+ years). Each time the response time was great and there were no issues afterwards regarding the service. Unfortunate that some people get raw deals for sure

I agree,. Every time we have used the tow company no issues but those were tows for mechanical issues not what they are using to consider a salvage

Aren't the big ones just franchises? I'm sure they have overarching "rules" but my guess would be that service and morality would differ from provider to provider.

Quote Originally Posted by restlessnative View Post
    Aren't the big ones just franchises? I'm sure they have overarching "rules" but my guess would be that service and morality would differ from provider to provider.

Yes, they are franchises. But 'corporate culture' leaks down to them all. Nationally, if you wanted to do some digging around, the 'yellow tow boats' seem to amass a far greater share of complaints regarding making claims for 'salvage' when its really a tow.

This was AGES AGO, but, after my tow debacle I ended up on the phone with the founder, his lawyer, etc, trying to straighten the mess out and quite honestly the founder was a bit of a 'Richard Cranium'.

While certain franchises Im sure are top notch, I rececomend Boat US. Clear, written, paperwork/contract and no shady business after the fact trying to change a tow ($) into a salvage ($$$$$$). And no, I am not paid for endorsements or youtube it up for likes and shares and social media 'fame.' Lol.

Granted, if you ARE in actual peril, and you and your boats safety are at risk, dont Johnny RaRa armchair-quaterback the situation AFTER the fact and whine it 'shoulda been a tow not a salvage."
    USCG Licensed Captain, 100T Masters, STCW/BST, PADI Rescue Diver
    Offshore Fishing/Diving & Charter Services, Bahamas/Caribbean Travel, Deliveries, Maintenance/Refits
    Scott@runyourboat.com
    www.runyourboat.com

Quote Originally Posted by MGD View Post
    I have been towed by Sea Tow 2 times in the last 15 years (been a member for 20+ years). Each time the response time was great and there were no issues afterwards regarding the service. Unfortunate that some people get raw deals for sure