What 'worked' and did not work in your Storm Preps? - Page 4
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    That would have been a blast! We really enjoyed Schooner's on the beach, we had a nice Brunch at The Grand Marlin and had a fairly good dinner at Capt Anderson's. We even did a Day Trip to Pensacola for a nice lunch on the water before visiting the amazing US Naval Air Museum there!

With regards to the 'cost' to Evac and in our case booking a wonderful 2/2 condo on the 10th floor looking down on PC Beach, when looking online, that was the first place that we could find that was not booked full. Tallahassee, Gainesville, Ocala, Lake City and up into southern Georgia had no openings. We also did not want to get any farther from home than possible, yet to be out of the path.

It was more $$ than a Motel 6, but that was offset in that we were able to make most of our meals in the condo. Add the price of 4-6 meals a day to a Motel 6 and it's easy to see that we actually lucked out. We had our own washer/dryer too as we obviously did not pack for 6-7-8 days..... When we mentioned that we were Evacuees, the condo folks lowered the cost even more. Don't hesitate to ask if you do Evac.

So, if we do Evac ever again, we'll try to book some sort of unit that has at least a kitchenette.......
    "Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."

For those of you who evacuated with gas cans where did you keep them while traveling in a sedan? trunk? special kind of can? I had 25 gallons ready for the generator or evac but did not feel safe transporting gas cans. I had gone from Tampa to Delray and back on Thursday to get my mother out of harms way. I saw numerous northbound suvs on the turnpike with cans strapped to the roof. Just didn't seem safe

I bought three, heavy-duty, plastic cans after Wilma took out our dining room window and I now only use them for storms.

They hold 5 gallons and have a secure nozzle and cap. I make sure to not fill them to the top to allow for some expansion (if any). Once the cap is snugged down, I placed them on an old towel in the very back of my wife's little Hybrid. I placed a towel on top to keep any direct sunlight off of them.

I was very slow and careful when filling them (putting about 4.5 gallons in each). I wiped off any small dribbles completely before I put the cans in the car.

Yes, we could barely smell very little fumes and we regularly popped a window down for a minute while on the road. At no time did we feel unsafe. I'm a retired airline pilot so I'm sensitive about 'safety'.

We saw others with the gas cans strapped down to the trailer hitch 'shelves' that hang off the back. That made me think of two things:

1) Rear end collision (probably will result in raw gas everywhere)
    2) Theft

When using them, I made sure to go slow, take my time and to have a paper towel to wipe up any dribbles. There were none.

I have a whole house genny that runs pretty much everything we need. Bad news was i broke the fuel pump getting it out of my warehouse.
    i have 2 honda eu2000i's that will keep the fridges working and a small AC unit. if i had to do it all over again the hondas are the way to go. easy to transport and set up, sip fuel and can be converted to lp gas. just great little units.

I had one for Wilma and it ran both fridges for 9 hours on one gallon! Later, FEMA sent me a check to cover the cost because we bought it right after the storm and used it while the power was out for 8-9 days........ Not sure if they do that still.....

We used it to run a skillet, toaster, kettle, etc for meals, then plug in a fan and one table lamp and watch TV using rabbit ears!

Funny one on our St Pete house. I boarded up all my doors and windows using my power drill driver. When we left the house I put the drill in the garage and left closing the automatic door opener.

When we returned with no power - we could not get back in the house. Generator, tools all in the garage, I did not even have a regular Phillips screwdriver with me. Had to borrow one from a passing neighbor to get in

Quote Originally Posted by woodytoo View Post
    When we returned with no power - we could not get back in the house.
    I had to think about that as I was closing up the house! I used a small pair of pliers to twist the pins to hold the shutters closed. The bottom patio shutters were the last to be closed before I hopped in the car. I found a small, tucked away place to hide my pliers so that I'd have them to open up the shutters when I got back. They were still tucked away when we first got back and we quickly were back in the house!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234