What 'worked' and did not work in your Storm Preps? - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    What didn't work? Got up at 5am on friday and packed the wife and small kids up to leave Ft. Lauderdale (because that was where the eye was going) and driving to a friends house in Sarasota.
    Haha! As soon as the Evac order was given based on the forecast that it was sure to make a hard right turn north and so right up the beach of eastern Florida, I told Jenn, 'Look for a place in Naples or Marco so that we won't have far to come back!"

Thank goodness everywhere in Florida from Tallahasse to south Georgia was booked!
    "Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic1560 View Post
    I use a food grade light grease on my bolts. It keeps them from corroding and makes them easier to adjust as needed.
    Great idea! You need to come down for a 'Grease Gary's Shutter Bolts' party!

When I pulled the bolts out from the front door track, I had Jenn give each hole a blast from the power blower that she was using to blow all the seaweed away from the front of the house! The bolts went in much easier....

I went through Andrew at SW 120 st and just west of 87th ave...... just north of the Falls. House was a short, one-story built in 1958, with a flat-ish, gravel roof and no shutters. We had to YELL at each other, huddled up in the hall way, hearing 'things' hitting the block walls. Wild air pressure made our ears pop. I recall that the NWS main office was across from U of M on US 1 in the Gable. The wind meter showed a max of 212 mph......... right before it ripped off the top of the 6 story building!

This was the first time that I ever Evacuated. I was against it as I knew the little Laud house would be okay. But the Governor said that because we were a few blocks to the east of US 1 that we should go. Happy Wife = Happy Life so off we went and that was probably the best of all the things that we did!

I was bitter-sweet in that nice, 10th floor condo right on the beach in Panama City! We watched TV 12 hours a day while it was all going on..... feeling bad for our friends....... wondering how the KL house was faring..... yet being cool, enjoying some great food, great sunsets with wonderful Docktails each evening, sleeping with the sliders open to hear the waves below...... totally stress free.

And the condo Management gave us a great deal on the room since we were Evacuees! I will never hesitate to hit the road again if it's a Cat 2 or above coming......
    "Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."

To jbdba01:

Yes, the lead anchor bolts that secured my 3/4 inch plywood shutters during Andrew were similar to the one you pictured. These lead anchor bolts did no go into the concrete block, so all that was securing them was the stucco on the exterior of the house. The second photo you posted looks like an expansion bolt. I used the Red Devil brand and made sure they were long enough to go completely into the concrete block and leave enough of a stud protruding, so I could to hang the heavy plywood shutters without any assistance. I left the lead anchors in place, but installed enough expansion bolts that made the lead anchors only useful to keep the board from warping after they were saturated from rain. (i would not remove the plywood until they were bone dry). I sold that house 15 years ago, but the new owner is still using my original plywood shutters. (I used exterior plywood and treated them with Wood Life).
    Last edited by The Cat's Eye; 09-28-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    Giimoozaabi

I didn't mess around with this storm. I even put shutters on my hurricane rated doors. Lucky, we didn't have that bad of a ride up here in Deerfield Beach. Heck didn't even loose power.

But none are to be take lightly. During Andrew, when my house was just one year old up here, I had the upper floor flex and dry wall screw popped thru the drywall on the wall facing the wind.

We had an offshore project working on the Boca Outfall at the time of Andrew and when we came back on site I could not believe the things that moved on the bottom. There was a large pile of jetty stone over the pipeline we were working on and after the storm, not one rock was found, they all moved somewhere unknown. The ocean can be a powerful thing in a storm.

During Irma, we did have a 140' barge under charter and moved it to the marine by the Marine Stadium and spudde it down with two 50' long and 20,000lb spuds. Even with that, the barge swung 180 degrees toward the shoreline. Lucky, no damage.

Tile roofs stayed on no problem during Andrew and I was about 3-4 miles from the eye. We did not loose one tile off the roof and my family has been in the house since 1956. The reason back in 1992 some tiles failed was that they used mortar to adhere the tiles to the roof. If you do not mix the mortar correctly you have roof tiles flying (how one person mixes it will be slightly different from the other). With the new foam method it is consistent so you no longer have that issue. If you go to Entegra roof tiles they show you the different roof tiles and what they will stand up to with new foam system using the large paddy system. The foam is expensive....poor roofing contractor companies will try and save money by using less foam thus not meetIng the large paddy system. The old style flat Bermuda tile (like we have) from memory is good up to somewhere around 233 mph winds, low profile S tile is around 202 mph, and regular S tile, which is most of what you see, only 158 mph. Shingles are not rated very high. If you have a hip roof (the best), without a high profile slope and tile you have one of the better roofs. The weight of the tile helps to hold the roof down as that roof breathes. The older houses like we have, many had 2x6/2x8s/2x10s for roof trusses on 16 centers made of Douglas fir with tongue and groove boards on top, no pine 2x4s on 20 centers with plywood like today. The old style construction makes a big difference.
    Last edited by spear40; 09-28-2017 at 06:40 PM.

When Katrina came across Fla in Aug, 2005, many of the one year old 3000 Sq ft. houses in the East Redland's had their clay tiles messed up. The tiles did not go airborne, but scores of them came loose on many roofs. Mine stayed intact. I don't know the official classification of these tiles, but according to the post above they sound like they are "S" tiles. Most of the damage seemed to occur when just one tile at the edge of a roof came loose then the wind was able to get under a lot more and the damage would cascade up the roof.

Katrina was only a Cat 1 when it crossed Fla from east to west. (All of these houses have hip roofs with a cupola above the front entrance)
    Last edited by The Cat's Eye; 09-30-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    Giimoozaabi

everything worked for me xcept my tble was was not hi enuf
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's -LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt. Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Bareboat & custom Charters - LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING, LOBSTER dives, GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO+TUNA
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...08182519302079

Islamorada Spring/Summer - Lauderdale Fall/Winter
    Best thing we did was get the boats out of the water. The little boat rode it out in the carport and the big one inside at Harbor Towne. Both were fine.

Moving EVERYTHING inside the house kept damage to a minimum.

Biggest mistake? Loving trees. We have a lot of landscaping and large trees. The vast majority of our damage was caused by trees falling and/or breaking and hitting structure. I love my landscaping, but I'm starting to think pea rock and ground cover is the way to go.

Interesting regarding ceiling fans. Not a one of them was damaged . That includes one in Broward that was facing the brunt of the wind and gusts for 12+ hours. Gary I'm wondering if you didn't get some type of micro burst or tornado at your house?

In Hurricane Andrew my girlfriend's ceiling fans INSIDE her house lost their blades and the some of the fan motors were pulled out of the ceiling.
    Giimoozaabi

removing boat from keys
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's -LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt. Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Bareboat & custom Charters - LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING, LOBSTER dives, GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO+TUNA
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...08182519302079

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast