Roofer Recommendations Big Pine Key? - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've had zero luck getting anyone to quote my job. I am not complaining as it's not my primary residence and I can wait a bit, but like Egret says a simple call back with can't do it would be better than nothing at all. On a separate note, the house across the canal from me disintegrated and I know sections of its roof/decking caused my damage. The house has three open code violations regarding unsafe structure anbd nothing has been done for > 2 years. Any legal recourse there against owner and/or monroe co???

I am getting a new roof on my home next week " I live in Jupiter, FL however my father lives in BPK" and I just spoke with the company that is doing mine moments ago after reading this thread. I mentioned to him what I saw in this post and he was shocked to hear about the cost for a quote and turnaround time just to get a quote. He said that they are actually currently doing a lot of work in the keys and plan to continue doing so. He said that they can actually provide quotes over the phone by using google earth and other measures to get a rough estimate about the size of the roof and what the costs might be to replace. I have been very happy with them thus far. I did seek them out prior to the storm and shopped a few others and they were thousands cheaper for the same type of roof.

If you wanted to give them a call, he said they have been very good at getting back to people in a timely fashion.

All American Roofing
    772-781-4410

That is the general office number, the guy I am working with is Adam.

Best of luck.

PS. The Key's Disease comment cracked me up. I know it's just a matter of time before my father develops this rare disease!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SnookMan772 View Post
    PS. The Key's Disease comment cracked me up. I know it's just a matter of time before my father develops this rare disease!!
    Its a horrible plague. Virtually all Contractors in the keys have "the disease". It is particularly insidious because those affected seem to think they are doing pretty damn good and really have no ability to see the reality of how their business acumen and service really sizes up. So how do you officially diagnose Keys Disease?

After getting blown off by a contractor who just forgot to call as promised, or just didn't show up as promised, or delivered a proposal with someone elses job details on it unrelated to your job probably with the wrong name, just make a couple of comments to hold them accountable for wasting your time or inquire why they did not do what they advised they would when they said they would. If the response is defensive and littered with ridiculous excuses they have the disease. If they offer no excuses but seem to think you are wrong and/or they take offense at the inquiry, they they have Keys Disease with the added affliction of being flat out incompetent and probably an ahole too. Those contractors infected with Keys Disease = at least 90%.

do not use.
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's -LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt. Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Bareboat & custom Charters - LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING, LOBSTER dives, GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO+TUNA
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...08182519302079

will let you know who actually shws up 2 do estimate
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's -LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt. Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Bareboat & custom Charters - LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING, LOBSTER dives, GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO+TUNA
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...08182519302079

Onshore roofing 772-283-1505. The just finished installing a new metal roof for me yesterday - big pine key. No bull****, no disease, professionals.

Bo

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Running View Post
    Virtually all Contractors in the keys have "the disease".
    It's not just the contractors. I work for a larger construction company (sorry, no residential roofs) and we work down in the Keys on a fairly regular basis. I've had more issues with incompetence and a total lack of customer service out of the hotels down there than the rest of our projects combined. Many of the marinas are no better either. There's a few on the "good" list and we try to give them our business whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by suprasteve View Post
    It's not just the contractors. I work for a larger construction company (sorry, no residential roofs) and we work down in the Keys on a fairly regular basis. I've had more issues with incompetence and a total lack of customer service out of the hotels down there than the rest of our projects combined. Many of the marinas are no better either. There's a few on the "good" list and we try to give them our business whenever possible.
    I agree. I do that to when I find those that understand and seem to get it. I find the disease is rampant all over the Island Chain. Too many down there have no idea how to write and communicate professionally and when it comes to customer service it seems as though the notion is nothing with which they are concerned. And the aversion so many seem to have to being held accountable to a reasonable standard is also amazing. If you run into a person with disease and you get the list of excuses like "hey we just got caught up on the last job and couldn't make it" or sorry, "left my phone at home and something came up" and you call them out for wasting your time and explain you took time to make sure you were there to meet them - you are likely to get an attitude like you are the bad guy for making the point. I always make sure to hold everyone accountable when they fail to do what they promised to do and not once have I been offered an apology for the service fail and not once has anyone taken responsibility for their fail.

Lindholm Roofing
    88005 Overseas Hwy, Islamorada, FL 33036
    Phone: (305) 852-5730

These guys are awesome.
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
    Lindholm Roofing
    88005 Overseas Hwy, Islamorada, FL 33036
    Phone: (305) 852-5730

These guys are awesome.
    I heard that and had a neighbor recommend them but did not find them to be so awesome. I had them quote this week. It took about 10 days to get an email quote.

I want to replace my existing shingle roof with new Metal Roof. As part of that, I need to have the fascia at the roof line replaced. It sort of all goes together as the facsia ties into the rafters and the drip edge that was quoted would be into and/or around the fascia. The roof itself is fine but much of the existing wood fascia is not in good condition. The roof can't really be done properly without addressing the fascia where the roof ties in. Its just a 3x8" board that runs the roof line.

The quote I got was decent but it was totally silent on 1) timing and 2) how they would address any fascia or needed wood replacement issues either on the deck or at the roof line. So I followed up on both to get the quote revised or clarified and this is this is the response I got from Lindholm:

"Because of extensive work you are hoping for on behalf of the fascia, I do not think that our company's scope of work would suit your needs appropriately. Our main focus at this time is roofing."

I did appreciate a reasonably quick reply but the Lindholm scope of work falls a bit short for sure. Their perspective that the fascia is not something they see as a related component of the roofing was really surprising to hear. If you are in the roofing business and are not willing to correct fascia at the roof line.... well it just seems most people would find that to be a substantive problem and big concern.

So if I would have proceeded with the Lindholm quote hoping for the best (without any followup) they would have likely not replaced any of it based on the response which would have been a disaster for me. Or once they got there looked at it first hand and then called and advised, "we are not willing to replace the fascia" that would have been a huge waste of time and quote fail too as it sounds like it would be many weeks or even months before they could start. The timing question was never addressed at all even in vague terms and that is also a quote fail in my book.
    Every properly written quote should provide some indication of timing.

Obviously, any decent roofer can handle fascia issues and it is so common. My read is they are only working the easiest jobs possible and do not want to handle any that require anything other than just new roof panels or new shingles on an existing deck. So if you have to have your fascia replaced or need a good read on timing, it would appear Lindholm is not a good choice at this time. What I found funny is the quote did indicate a $45/hr charge for any needed carpentry work but then they respond as noted above when questioned about the fascia which would obviously be carpentry work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast