Roofer Recommendations Big Pine Key?
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member latitudeajustment's Avatar

Roofer Recommendations Big Pine Key?

I have searched and found a few but am hoping for some personal referrals.

We have a damaged roof and am trying to get a quote for repair and a quote to install new metal roof. I am waiting on insurance adjuster to inspect and provide cost for repair. Thanks for any assistance.

Hey Patrick - call jimmy koval, I left his number on another thread. He has a crew putting a new metal roof on his house right now.

We are going to use d'asign source on ours - they have been doing a ton of work for us. Problem is they are prioritizing on existing customers right now.

Quote Originally Posted by latitudeajustment View Post

We have a damaged roof and am trying to get a quote for repair and a quote to install new metal roof. I am waiting on insurance adjuster to inspect and provide cost for repair. Thanks for any assistance.
    Good luck. No one I could find will quote any time frames just to go and look to quote even in vague manner to help. It could be next year before someone might quote it. I have been trying for two weeks to get a quote via two local groups and the best I could get from them is "as soon as we can" with no willingness to further define what that means to help me plan accordingly. It's pretty clear they really have no idea themselves. Thus, I don't expect to hear anything from either ever again. They are just too busy.
    It's the keys and contractor help even in normal times is a 50/50 if they will do what they promise. Contractors are horrible in the keys for good communication and delivering as promised on time. In this case with the chaos, I think its pretty much guaranteed to have to hire someone from up north to fix it. I have zero confidence in "as soon as we can". That is Keys disease code for you probably will never hear from us again. I would rather have someone say, they are too busy to quote and provide good service so as to not waste any time. If you are very busy and have no idea what the back log for work is and are not able to provide any frame of reference timing wise for anything, you are too busy to provide good service and should just advise callers accordingly. It is just common sense. Its funny though. Many contractor types are happy to spend 10 to 15 mins on the phone talking about how good they are and sometimes you can even get a contractor to show up and spend 20 to 30 mins on site to get notes together to quote and then you are likely to never hear from them again. I found that was the case with several plumbers over the last year. I had one plumber who showed and took notes and promised to quote and actually forgot all about it and he called me 3 weeks later to arrange to come to quote and when I asked what happened to them and why they didn't quote the first time, he was confused and had forgotten all about his first visit. That is a very inspiring vote of confidence. So typical of the keys.
    Over the years I found that with perhaps a single exception, the best contractor service comes from groups willing to drive from the mainland.

We have a excellent roofer doing tile repair in our neighborhood. Price is $100 per hour. Cash He is booked up for 6 weeks

sweetwater homes
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's -LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt. Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Bareboat & custom Charters - LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING, LOBSTER dives, GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO+TUNA
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...08182519302079

My experience following Wilma was similar. Cost to replace a roof in Marathon was over double what it would cost in other parts of Florida. Do not hire Keys Roofing even if they offer to replace your roof for free. A search of the Monroe County Court records before hiring a roofer would be a good idea. You would need to put in the name of the company as well as the owner's name.

who ever returns you r call, shows up and DOES NOT charge for estimates! pinewood wanter $150 cash only consultation fee +$250 formal estimate!
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's -LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt. Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Bareboat & custom Charters - LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING, LOBSTER dives, GLASS BOTTOM BOAT
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO+TUNA
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...08182519302079

Senior Member latitudeajustment's Avatar
    Wow....just crazy, thanks for all the tips...still searching, at least the tarps are holding up so far.

Quote Originally Posted by piner_wahoo View Post
    who ever returns you r call, shows up and DOES NOT charge for estimates! pinewood wanter $150 cash only consultation fee +$250 formal estimate!
    That is frickin ridiculous, I understand everyone needs to make a living and the work is not always steady down here but come on, after the devastation the island and people have suffered at the hands of Irma $400 for a estimate is a slap in the face for most I would imagine, nothing like taking advantage of someone when they're down and out. Thanks Piner_wahoo for the heads ups I will be sure to never use them no matter how good their work is. I hope to do the majority of our remod myself , but if I can't find the time my money will be going to the hand of someone that has a interest in the well being of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by latitudeajustment View Post

I got a quote from a group called Johnnie Cope Const. A GC with a roofing focus based in Islamorada and S. FL address.

Quote terms were reasonable and good timing too. But I asked for references etc., some other jobs I could see etc.. No response. And the proposal was very sloppy with typos and mistakes. I had to have it redone twice to fix things. I know nothing about them other than they have a license I could check. No website. A very sloppy proposal with lack of attention to detail and zero response to reference requesst = a red flag. I can't get OK with a larger money job with zero references to check so I am hold there until I can get more information.

For the groups I do know, they are way too busy to provide any kind of reasonable customer service and they do themselves no favors by taking on even more jobs to quote that they will never be able to get around to . TJ ryan who does great work said they had like near 1000 calls for quotes. They don't have a huge roofing staff. So I asked, how is it even remotely possible you can quote near a 1000 roofs anytime in the next year in addition to actually doing a roof or roofs? No answer other than some evasive response. The bottom line is they all have too much to do and not enough time to do it but they are not willing to admit that and advise anyone they are not taking on new quotes. I think if you can't provide good service because you have too much to handle in house, provide the good service to what is signed up and don't try to attempt the impossible with every one else. If you can't quote firmly in a reasonable time and get the job done within a reasonable time, you should not be wasting any time taking down information. Answers like "we will get to it when we get to it" or "we are doing the best we can" provide zero insight to anyone on timing and are completely counterproductive to good customer service and building confidence. No one knows if that means a month, 6 mos. or over a year and so you can't plan accordingly with that based on your immediate needs. Consequently, its best to just advise you not soliciting new bids at this time and only start again when the customer can get great service to avoid polluting an already earned service reputation. The same thing is going on with the AC contractors.

I would think if you were an AC or roofing company based in S. FL, you could get down to the keys and build an impressive pipeline of business quick if you had your act together, with references, credentials and an efficient way to produce a clean professional proposal. I wish just a few more that were good were headed down and would make their presence known.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast