St. Joe Bay
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Thread: St. Joe Bay

St. Joe Bay

Heading down there in a week from KY and just wondering how the water is, clarity and temp and if the reds are moving around much yet.

Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by chasmck3 View Post
    Heading down there in a week from KY and just wondering how the water is, clarity and temp and if the reds are moving around much yet.

Thanks for any help!
    I was camping at Presnell's RV Park this past week from the 20th thru 25th and the water was nearly crystal clear over the flats. The first night fishing out of the kayak I fished in the evening and was able to catch a bunch of small trout and on the way back to the RV park just before dark came across a large school of tailing reds. I caught 2 real quick and then it got tooo dark to see and wanted to make my way back in. The next day I did not see any tailers, but did see about 30 reds and they all had lock jaw. For the next 3 days there was nearly zero tide movement and did not see one red. Did catch quite a few small trout and had probably the nicest trout eaten by a shark before I could get him back to the boat. He left me the head and I got my $10.00 lure back!
    It was a fun week. The Scallopers did real good south of Blacks Island.

As posted above, it should be clear!

Go EARLY and fish LATE. You're likely to deal with some pent up
    Scallop frustration. Course it might not be all that bad. I'm talking to lots of locals who are taking a pass, and last minute change of rules may likely mean tourists are now busy with dove fields, food plots, etc.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Well, as always something tropical brews up whenever I plan a trip there in the fall. Lots of wind leading up to it as well but found some aggressive trout on topwater including at least one over 20" each day except our last one. Scalloping action was minimal as we left those areas before noon each day. Water was clear while under 3 feet deep and temps ranged from 74 in the mornings and up to 82 in the afternoons. Stayed in protected portions along the Northeast side and did not venture out to state park side because of the wind. Also found some pompano and lots of flounder in slightly deeper water, both on jigs. Redifsh were more scarce than anticipated but most boats were somewhat concentrated due to the wind forcing everyone into same areas. Most fish still seemed to be in summer mode. Best bite was right as sun came up and afternoons with outgoing tide.