First Tarpon! Tips for more please!
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

First Tarpon! Tips for more please!

I finally got a tarpon(small but still a tarpon)! I also jumped 2 more. I want to catch more of these micros but what times are best? Lures? Two were on frozen shrimp at the bottom and ones was jumped on a Yozuri Crystal minnow.

Any help is appreciated thanks!IMG_2252.jpg

The spot is half the battle, unless someone else knows where ur fishing hard to know when they bite. I've had best results at night.

Quote Originally Posted by floridaBMW View Post
    The spot is half the battle, unless someone else knows where ur fishing hard to know when they bite. I've had best results at night.
    Trying the spot for the first time at night Friday. Should I bring a big light to shine in the water?

I've always done well with white crappie jigs on spin tackle for baby poons in backwater. Or else a fly rod. Can't cast as far with spin tackle, but reel it straight in with short, quick twitches so it suspends in the water. You'll lose a lot because of the small hooks, but you'll jump a bunch and catch a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnookSlob1 View Post
    Trying the spot for the first time at night Friday. Should I bring a big light to shine in the water?
    Oh, it sounded like you already had a spot and caught juvi's already.

Nope to shining lights into the water. I turn my back to the waters edge and if possible move a few steps fr the water when I need to retie. Stealth is always better.

Small light colored paddle tails on a light wire jighead 1/8 oz.

I found some tarpon up to 15lbs over the weekend on my trip down there. The smallest gold-tinted floating/suspending minnow baits seemed to work best on both the tarpon and snook, like the Cabela's Fisherman Series™ Mini Minnow Crankbait. 2"-3" Yo Zuris probably work great as well but they are general so expensive.