Plumbing ?
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Thread: Plumbing ?

Plumbing ?

I have a early 60s model house, no ground clean out so everything is done from the roof. I have two drains that will not drain. 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the bathroom. After doing the typical DIY stuff (draino, snake, plunge) I called Red Cap Plumbing. Guy comes quates between 250 and 550 and snakes through the roof and inside. Nothing. Charges 99 dollars. He says it probably needs jetting and quotes near 1800 bux. They are sending a camera guy to get a closer inspection of the main. That part is free. What should I be asking and looking for so as to not get ripped off.

FWIW, all of the other drains in the house work as they should.
    Last edited by haydenfox!#$; 09-13-2017 at 03:05 PM.

The kitchen drain is very likely to need jetting with the age of the house. Kitchen drain lines get grease and soap scum built up,in layers inside the pipe. Running a snake through them just makes a hole through the the crud, which closes right back up. Watch the guy when he cameras the line, and get him to tell you what he's seeing. It will be very obvious if the line is full of stuff. $1800.00 is waaaay out of line. Get several more prices from reputable plumbers in your area.

I don't remember exactly, but I think I was told about $400 to $500 to jet the main line at one of my stores. I may be wrong on that though, got a lot of work done at the time with a broken vent pipe and other issues. Never jetted the drains.

Pottydoc,

I was curious, how does the jetting work? How do you keep the water from exiting other drains and vents? Can it damage the old cast iron pipes?
    Last edited by cadman; 09-13-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    "mini-mart magnate"
    I am just here for my amusement

Company came back with a camera and basically just confirmed what the first technician said. Black sludge and roots. However, I thought they were surveying the main line. They weren't and I was told I would need to remove the toilet in order to access the main line and that would be 300 dollars. In the end I was quoted 3 options ranging from 2k to jet and install a clean out, all the way to 5k to jet and install some new lines. After researching I see that even the hydro jetting estimate is off by 800-100 dollars.

I was told that snaking and jetting the old cast iron could definitely damage the pipes.

Wow, how much to run pvc to the main?

Red Cap are over priced !

Most Tampa Big shops are !!!

I will send you a PM ...
    want to know about my Gheenoes Go Here

http://www.noeettica.com/

I had that problem in an old house in Seminole Heights about 15 years ago. The cast iron had gradually become restricted by soap and grease
    The cast iron pipe survived the repair.
    Fixed it myself using an unsafe but effective means.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj

Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I don't remember exactly, but I think I was told about $400 to $500 to jet the main line at one of my stores. I may be wrong on that though, got a lot of work done at the time with a broken vent pipe and other issues. Never jetted the drains.

Pottydoc,

I was curious, how does the jetting work? How do you keep the water from exiting other drains and vents? Can it damage the old cast iron pipes?
    Never known it to damage the lines. Depending on how bad its clogged, they will probably have to cap all the drains in the house. It is a very effective way to clear the lines, though. I'm not in the service part of our company, but I talked to one of our guys yesterday, and he said the $1800.00 charge was way high. Like double.

Quote Originally Posted by haydenfox!#$ View Post
    Company came back with a camera and basically just confirmed what the first technician said. Black sludge and roots. However, I thought they were surveying the main line. They weren't and I was told I would need to remove the toilet in order to access the main line and that would be 300 dollars. In the end I was quoted 3 options ranging from 2k to jet and install a clean out, all the way to 5k to jet and install some new lines. After researching I see that even the hydro jetting estimate is off by 800-100 dollars.

I was told that snaking and jetting the old cast iron could definitely damage the pipes.
    It takes about ten minutes to remove a tolet. Another 10-15 to set it back. So even doubling that call it an hour. People need to make a profit, but that's ridiculous. Especially when they are already on site. Tell the Red Cap boys to take a hike. You will have a continuing problem with you he roots, though. Once they're growing into the lines, there's no effective way to permantly get rid of them, expect rerun the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by pottydoc View Post
    It takes about ten minutes to remove a tolet. Another 10-15 to set it back. So even doubling that call it an hour. People need to make a profit, but that's ridiculous. Especially when they are already on site. Tell the Red Cap boys to take a hike. You will have a continuing problem with you he roots, though. Once they're growing into the lines, there's no effective way to permantly get rid of them, expect rerun the lines.
    PVC.

Start digging!