Any surge damage at Port if the Isles? - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorDrops View Post
    Was there any ground floor flooding?
    Not in their unit.

Glades Haven? Any reports? All news videos from Naples talk about lots of flooding but nothing specific. I have a cabin and can't get to it till Tuesday. Trying to prepare for the worst.

All that I've found about the EC/ Choko area has been on Naples News - the photos posted today about that area are pretty tough to look through after a ten foot surge pretty much trashed everything there....

On the good news side of things I was able to get through to Port of the Islands today (239) 389-0367... I was advised that they were about 75% operational (of course, I forgot to ask about rooms or restaurant since I was only interested in the boat ramp....). The ramp is open - but they had no info on whether the canal was passable or any info about areas past the canal... Think my first scouting day will be over there since I figure that the Park will be locked down for a long time.... and like every guide - I need somewhere to run with anglers aboard...

I'll post up when and if I make it across.... If I sound a bit unconcerned about the welfare of folks who are probably in pretty bad shape and only thinking about fishing - remember that the sooner we start spending money there as every small business struggles back to life - the sooner they'll get on their feet...
    Last edited by lemaymiami; 09-14-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.AW View Post
    Not in their unit.
    Good to hear. I know a guy that lives in that immediate area and was hoping he had similar luck. He posts here occasionally but I imagine he has much more important things to do right now than the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by lemaymiami View Post
    If I sound a bit unconcerned about the welfare of folks who are probably in pretty bad shape and only thinking about fishing - remember that the sooner we start spending money there as every small business struggles back to life - the sooner they'll get on their feet...
    Same here, obviously concerned about the residents first and foremost. On the bolded point, I'll be arriving down there in 3 weeks for several nights, staying at the resort proper, and hoping to hook a few fish on foot while supporting the local economy.

News reported that coon key is gone. As soon as these people quit freaking out on gas I'm ready to get out... Gonna be some changes for sure!! Hope everyone fared well. I have minimal damage but damage non the less.... Powers back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jason

For rizangler (and others wanting to get a visual on Everglades City or Chokoloskee) here's the satellite imagery from NOAA.... Looks like Glades Haven had it's cabins moved around a bit.... You can see that both the Island Cafe and the next door Everglades Motel still have their roofs where they belong... but you can't see much of anything about whatever flood damage there is... Here's that NOAA info...

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/Irma/index.html

As you look at the maps you'll see the 10K and other storm damaged areas shown in black - then just zoom in and move around a bit to find the address/location you're looking for... It even shows Port of the Islands to the west....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Video that was shared on facebook. Video is of Everglades City and Choko.
    I fixed the link. This one should work.

http://www.fox4now.com/weather/hurri...ma-ruins-homes
    Last edited by Rebait2003; 09-15-2017 at 08:58 AM.

How could a surge travel all the way up the to Port of The Islands? I don't think that's possible.
    Vote for the other candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Mister-Jr View Post
    How could a surge travel all the way up the to Port of The Islands? I don't think that's possible.
    Over low ground and up the canal. Tides make it up there, no reason a surge couldn't.

Glades Haven

Quote Originally Posted by lemaymiami View Post
    For rizangler (and others wanting to get a visual on Everglades City or Chokoloskee) here's the satellite imagery from NOAA.... Looks like Glades Haven had it's cabins moved around a bit.... You can see that both the Island Cafe and the next door Everglades Motel still have their roofs where they belong... but you can't see much of anything about whatever flood damage there is... Here's that NOAA info...

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/Irma/index.html

As you look at the maps you'll see the 10K and other storm damaged areas shown in black - then just zoom in and move around a bit to find the address/location you're looking for... It even shows Port of the Islands to the west....
    Thank you Bob- as terrible as the damage is I feel better knowing a bit more from this satellite view.
    I spoke with Dan, our Association President, he reported lots of mud thick in cabins he was able to see. Electricity may not be there for a very long time. I was told mine had shifted off its blocks, the NOAA picture does not look as bad as I though from an areal view. At least my cabin is upright. I plan to drive down Wednesday.
    20' Blue Wave
    12' Hobie Outback
    13' Native Slayer Propel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast