Running hi-vis green mono right upto the 6' leader? (trolling)
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Running hi-vis green mono right upto the 6' leader? (trolling)

Deciding on clear mono top shot or not still.. Lets skip the "braid first, then this, then that", I am just asking about hi-vis being ran all the way to my 6' or so mono leaders (trolling)

Do you guys use the top shot mainly as a leader OR so you dont have any hi-vis bright green line in the water?

Most of my lures as well as ballyhoo have around a 6-7' mono or wire leader... Should I just spool my new reels with hi-vis green and skip clear mono top shot (would be ideal, and seems that most say this is fine)?
    2005 Sea Fox w/ Merc 150 2 stroke (adding here since I always forget in my "how do I fix this" posts)

I run hi-vis but also use a wind on of mono or fluorocarbon, when it is ran from the rigger or from the flats when properly positioned only a few feet is actually in the water

I like different color monos for two reasons mainly... The first is to be able to tell at a glance what size line is on a given reel... (clear mono -10lb, pink mono -12lb, fl. yellow -15lb, clear mono - 20 lb -and so on...). In a spread of trolling lines it's very helpful to have different line colors on different reels so you can see where your lines are - and tell at a glance which two (or more) are fouling -if that's a problem...

Line color is no consideration at all when trolling since I was always using at least a rod's length of leader (sometimes a bit more) at the end - and that's all the fish would ever see... Back years ago when I did a bit of hook and line commercial fishing in blue water, all my leaders were pretty heavy (around 120lb) and each was ten feet long, ending in a black swivel... a short trace of wire to whatever bait or lure added another 15 10 18" for each leader. In use, after a fish was worked to the boat - that wire and fish was cut off as the fish went into the box... It was a simply matter to add another pre-rigged bait or lure to the end of that ten foot long leader and get back to fishing in short order... Since I was working solo and getting paid by the pound of fish delivered - keeping things as efficient as possible was a pretty good idea... That was few years back - I've been a full time inshore guide now since 1996 and spend my days fishing out of Flamingo or Everglades City....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

I like your idea of color coded lb-test lines Bob, I would do the same if I ran multiple lines (I fish from a kayak, so only one or two lines max.)

Taymag, I saw a video a few years back of how different mono lines look underwater and the one thing that stuck with me is that if you're running high vis yellow mono for surface lures, the fish are looking up at the lure and the line is nearly indistinguishable against the backdrop of sunlight. Long story short, I think you'll be ok going form hi-vis to clear leader to lure.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Quote Originally Posted by jcanracer View Post
    I like your idea of color coded lb-test lines Bob, I would do the same if I ran multiple lines (I fish from a kayak, so only one or two lines max.)

Taymag, I saw a video a few years back of how different mono lines look underwater and the one thing that stuck with me is that if you're running high vis yellow mono for surface lures, the fish are looking up at the lure and the line is nearly indistinguishable against the backdrop of sunlight. Long story short, I think you'll be ok going form hi-vis to clear leader to lure.
    Thanks for all the answers, havent been back on since hurricane cleanup.

I guess the thing that sucks about these questions no one knows what the fishes eyes see hah so you just roll the dice

By the way I love my boat, but kayak fishing pre-boat were some of the best years of my life
    2005 Sea Fox w/ Merc 150 2 stroke (adding here since I always forget in my "how do I fix this" posts)

Quote Originally Posted by taymag View Post
    Thanks for all the answers, havent been back on since hurricane cleanup.

I guess the thing that sucks about these questions no one knows what the fishes eyes see hah so you just roll the dice

By the way I love my boat, but kayak fishing pre-boat were some of the best years of my life
    There has been plenty of research on the cones and rod cells of a fishes eye
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...heD_kQ_B0IeTAK

Not sure that is the right book
    PING professor O in the south section

Quote Originally Posted by dragon bait View Post
    There has been plenty of research on the cones and rod cells of a fishes eye
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...heD_kQ_B0IeTAK

Not sure that is the right book
    PING professor O in the south section
    Will do, thanks.. so do you know the consensus on hi-vis yellow? lol

Quote Originally Posted by taymag View Post
    Will do, thanks.. so do you know the consensus on hi-vis yellow? lol

consensus from who pros? put it this way all the heavy hitters I know personally use it when trolling

I have few reels set up with Hi Vis yellow that I use for both trolling and kite fishing. When trolling I have been going Hi Vis right to the lure using the lure leader only and it doesn't seem to be an issue, the fish still bite. It only seems to matter what lure is on the end of that Hi Vis at the time.

Always ask yourself this question:
    Should, under normal fishing conditions for the type of fishing I will be doing, the fish be able to see my line?
    If no: Hi-VI's/Braid doesn't matter.
    If yes: Use something that blends in or a longer leader.
    Works 100% of the time.