Status Update - Page 6
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Status Update

Long Island NY and the Keys as much as possible.
    [QUOTE=Razzman;3057494]Here are some Big Pine Pics

[url]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPvSERjJIqKfjfv4I10Co4XL8H

Best info so far for my place. Cant actually see my place, but the park looks better than I hoped. The 1 picture that's closest stops maybe 50 feet from my place.

We all are going to need a big party after this.
    If I had to chose between my house or my boat to survive I would pick the boat.
    Fishing is the reason we are in the keys and I love heading out as the sun is coming up.

If my boat survived, I am going to put together free fishing trips for those who lost their boat to Irma.
    A lot of great guys here on THT and FL Sportsmen so lets go catch some fish.
    Find the positive and the Keys will be back alive soon.

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Fishing/Snorkeling/Sunset Cruise

. www.AOKCharters.com

Got an eyes on my boat it looks like it should be okay. Big relief because the NOAA image looked like it was on the seawall and the hull was broke almost in half. On lift just floated back into seawall will need to check lower units, motor mounts and transom but hopefully minor repairs. Our house lost most of the tiles but roof looks intact.
    There is still a lot to be done. If only they would let us in to help.

. www.AOKCharters.com

This doesn't sound good:
    "A new website has been established by Monroe County. It hasn’t been populated yet with a lot of information, but it will be soon. The web address is www.keysrecovery.org
    Unfortunately, for those who want to return to Key Colony Beach in the near future, Monroe County Health Director advised us today for health and safety reasons, the Middle and Lower Keys could be closed off for up to 30 days. Only emergency personnel, approved supply distribution companies (e.g. Home Depot, Publix, etc.), and government authorized contractors will be allowed past the checkpoints."
    From Key colony admin

. www.AOKCharters.com

Sorry for not providing an update. Matt88 thanks for the pic offer, and latitude very very glad to hear you are ok! Ashley24 will send you a pm. Been keeping close tabs on our neighborhood app, and there has been allot of solid news from Monroe county, the state and Feds. Also was forward the keys recovery website. It is indeed going to be a long hard ride to even begin to get things right.

We got aireal pics -from several sources - of the neighborhood, and then a good look from the noaa satellite site. I think I am the luckiest man alive, the woodytoo is still on the lift, house still standing and my jeep is in the front yard. It does not look like we got an overwash, because heck my picnic table is still sitting where we left it! Neighbors houses took a lot of roof damage, and there are a few that are a total mess. But for the most part , we are so much better than I feared.

Hang tight fellow piners! We will get through this!

BoIMG_0122.jpg
    Last edited by woodytoo; 09-15-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl

Quote Originally Posted by AOKRVs View Post
    This doesn't sound good:
    "A new website has been established by Monroe County. It hasn’t been populated yet with a lot of information, but it will be soon. The web address is www.keysrecovery.org
    Unfortunately, for those who want to return to Key Colony Beach in the near future, Monroe County Health Director advised us today for health and safety reasons, the Middle and Lower Keys could be closed off for up to 30 days. Only emergency personnel, approved supply distribution companies (e.g. Home Depot, Publix, etc.), and government authorized contractors will be allowed past the checkpoints."
    From Key colony admin
    That doesn't sound good. Slightly damaged homes can be totally destroyed by mold within 30 days. They need somebody else in charge. Port Aransas, Texas had similar problems. Hit by the eye wall of Harvey, and only 1 hwy into town.
    They set up a road block and homeowners had to "turn in" (not just display) their details and a local drivers license (or deed to the home if you weren't a local) to get past the check point. They had to be back out by curfew time to pick up their driver's license or a warrant was placed for their arrest. This gave homeowners time to bleach, etc., the home and time to set up generators with fans. With their driver's license, or deed to their home held by police, everybody left the island by the start of curfew time.

If water and waste are the issue, make it mandatory that owners have water and a porta-potty in their truck to get in. Just saying a blanket "NO" to access, is stupid.

Officials are basically saying they need to restore all services before they allow residents back in. This is ludicrous. If that's true all the money I spent buying a generator, drums of fuel, satellite phone, storable food and water was a total waste. Most people just want an opportunity to go asses the damage to their homes and salvage any property they can and protect it from looters. What they are doing is creating a situation where no one will ever leave when the next hurricane comes.

Quote Originally Posted by AOKRVs View Post
    If I had to chose between my house or my boat to survive I would pick the boat.
    I did not want the 'hassle' of it but last Weds I made the 4+ hour run in the boat back up to our little Lauderdale home where I have a much better dock to tie it to. I knew that even a light Cat 1 would probably smash my boat on the PVC pipes that it normally rests against in the oceanside, Key Largo canal. There are more than a few sunken boats in our 7 canals and boats that were lifted off their lifts and are now laying awkwardly on the deck/dock/lifts, etc. Not good.

Got a neighbor to take some photos of the house yesterday and it looks good except for some shutter damage, patio fans, and my cool fish cleaning table "Keys Style" roof has collapsed.

We both have the Resident's Pass and we hope to get down and check out the interior asap....
    "Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."

Just an FYI Manatee Bay Marina looked untouched from the photos I saw,same with Garden Cove Marina.
    I also heard Buzzards Roost maybe open as early as this Sat. Best wishes to all.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast