Comments for Closing Commercial Fishing on the Mosquito Lagoon MINWR - Page 6
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon bait View Post
    EPA Chief Scott Pruitt: "Science Shouldn't Dictate American Policy"
    Yeah, well... I prefer to stay out of politics... I'll just say I couldn't disagree more with Mr. Pruitt.

Quote Originally Posted by gettinwet View Post
    Here's the problem with the "best" available science copied from the link provided:

"The MRIP estimates more than 6.6 million recreational anglers took more than 29.3 million saltwater fishing trips statewide in Florida during 2006."

"On average, field samplers interview 44,000 anglers in Florida annually. Field intercepts are conducted at ramps, marinas, docks, piers, beaches, and other fishing access points."

That's less than 1% of total recreational anglers and a small fraction of 1% of saltwater fishing trips. And of those, how many were the Duckman Jr's of the world compared to a visiting tourist on a head boat or the beer drinker who tells his wife he is going fishing.....not to mention all fisherpersons are pathological liars when it comes to their preferred hobby. In other words, the term "recreational" angler is pretty broad. Extrapolating out catch/survival rates from that sample size given the wide variety of both anglers and species seems dubious at best.
    got anything better?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by ANUMBER1 View Post
    got anything better?
    I am new to this entire thing, but why can't they just make an optional online survey/fish log? I would be more than happy to participate. I would imagine a great many agree, increasing the 'n' will increase the accuracy of the mean. Seems easy and reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gettinwet View Post
    And of those, how many were the Duckman Jr's of the world compared to a visiting tourist on a head boat or the beer drinker who tells his wife he is going fishing.....not to mention all fisherpersons are pathological liars when it comes to their preferred hobby. In other words, the term "recreational" angler is pretty broad. Extrapolating out catch/survival rates from that sample size given the wide variety of both anglers and species seems dubious at best.
    Duckmanjr's of the world? ... Was that some kind of cheap shot at old people?
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

got anything better?
    Well, yes....my "anecdotal" science...is better than what they present......and....you know it!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

It wouldn't surprise me if they kicked them out. The refuge wants to manage as little as possible. They hate doing any work. Eventually they will lock the gates on that place unless you have 6 figures to donate every year like the Merritt island wildlife association where 2 of their officers donate over half the funds. Just follow the money and you'll soon see who the handful of people are who want you gone.

Fishing guides will be next, then rec fisherman. A catch and release guide is nothing more than a professional fish harasser and has probably harassed the same fish more than once.

Actually Lane and the regional managers favor keeping the commercial folks in the fuge.

Not sure what is going on with the duck season though?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by kellercl View Post
    I am new to this entire thing, but why can't they just make an optional online survey/fish log? I would be more than happy to participate. I would imagine a great many agree, increasing the 'n' will increase the accuracy of the mean. Seems easy and reasonable to me.
    funding is one reason and something about the accuracy of volunteer data? I'm not a biologist or statistician so am not sure.

funding is one reason and something about the accuracy of volunteer data? I'm not a biologist or statistician so am not sure.
    volunteer data has accuracy concerns, but those concerns are reduced (in some cases minimized) with increased sample size via p-value. Funding is always a problem, too many people want to play but not enough want to pay.

I'm from Michigan and me and my wife love to fish Mosquito lagoon, We like to take a fish or two to eat, we put the rest back, I'm just responding to Comercial fishing in the lagoon, I wonder about non targeted fish and how they are affected by this. I will respond to express my feelings, and am against Comercial fishing in the lagoon to FWC, thanks for letting me know about this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast