Lennox A/C
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Thread: Lennox A/C

Lennox A/C

My 1999 Trane XL1400 1.5 ton is aging. The service we use to do maintenance our 3 units suggested going with Lennox Merit Series 14ACX-018 condensing unit, CBX32M-018/024 air handling unit w/ ECB29-5 heater.
    I am of the female gender, so I know nothing about this stuff. From what I've read, it seems the Trane XL is their better units and the Lennox Merit Series is the low end. Is it worth it to stay with the Merit or should it be upgraded?

Get a Carrier installed by a reputable company.

There are a few good AC men on this forum. Give it a while they'll answer your question.

God's Country-Texas and Quepos, Costa Rica
    I have had excellent results with my Trane units over the past 30 years but am no expert.

I've been in the biz 42 years. We are celebrating our 50th anniversary. Three generations. I worked on them most of my life. Truth is, there was some real junkers back in the day. Kinda like Chevette and the Pinto. Today with the new 14 SEER government regs, most companies have all improved and are excellent compared to the old days. The Only brand I don't sell is Lennox, only because I hate the company,not the equipment. I bid a Rheem to a friend of mine, he said he Googled it and wants a Trane. The next day I bid a unit to another guy and he said I Want a Rheem, had a Trane and the coil leaked the first year. Today got a bid request for a package mobile home unit. "any brand but Goodman" LOL.You read the internet they all have problems. They all have 10 year warranty. That is insane. Can you imagine getting 10 year warranty on anything else? and a A/C runs 24/7. Get the best bang for the buck price wise, they all have the same parts.

My Trane was loud. Hated it, was put in by the contractor in 2003'who added a 2nd story always had issues with gas leaks. 2 years ago Replaced it with a Tempstar, almost a carrier clone. Looking at rhe outside unit and compared to a name brand Carrier it is the same unit. Do not go by name, go by the seer rating and the business who will service it. Sometimes you are buying the name but in the end all out of the same factory.

Quote Originally Posted by AC Man View Post
    They all have 10 year warranty. That is insane. Can you imagine getting 10 year warranty on anything else? and a A/C runs 24/7. Get the best bang for the buck price wise, they all have the same parts.
    I believe that to be the truth. We had two new units put in when we bought our house 11 years ago. We have had them serviced (whatever that is) every year, and never had a hiccup. My AC units are the best money I have spent.
    Vote for the other candidate

A warranty is only as good as the company selling, and servicing it. Good luck. Willis Carrier created the first electric AC in 1902. Carrier is where I put my money. If you're cheap, go for the Payne.

Lennox was always a pain to get parts from. Rudd/Rheem was the company that I never had any problems with replacement parts.