Dive trip to the middle ground 8-11-17 - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by silentfaith View Post
    say, how deep is it out there? likely too deep for a hookah.
    We were between 90 and 120 feet on each drop, breathing nitrox @ 28% . Hookah use should be limited to less than 30 feet, you have no chance for a safety stop if the compressor quits. I use a hookah for scallops and lobster. The good thing about hookahs is that they can run and supply you air for several hours, the bad thing about hookahs is that they can run and supply you air for several hours. If you stayed down at 50 feet for over 70 minutes you would need to do a decompression stop. The hookah I have would easily allow two divers who weren't paying attention to do this.
    Last edited by butchbal; 08-13-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeOne View Post
    Awesome report. Those are some moose hogs. Did you weigh any? I'm curious as to what that one stud weighed in at. Looks like a good 12 lbs or so...
    The big hog of the day was 18+ lbs on a scale. The others were all between 8 and 16 lbs.

That is some serious diving...
    Looks like you had great weather for that trip...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways.

Tell them about the sharks, Butch. Everybody likes to hear about sharks. ;)

That's an impressive group of Hogs, nice job guys.

Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017...ing-adventure/ for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Stressor View Post
    Tell them about the sharks, Butch. Everybody likes to hear about sharks. ;)
    What Doc is referring to is our bonus shark encounter on our last drop. Three of us dropped in to about 105' along the base of a big 15' drop-off and split up to hunt more efficiently. I had shot a large mango and had just got him off the spear and onto the stringer. I was kneeling in the sand facing the drop-off trying to reload my speargun when I felt a bump on my fin and looked around to see a large 7 to 8' bull sharked had just made a pass behind me bumping my fin in the process.

Needless to say my air consumption increased somewhat as I hurried to get the spear reloaded and get a .357 powerhead put on it. All the while that big bast**d was making passes and getting more agitated. He had fins down back arched which is an aggressive posture which meant he had decided that he was going to come get my fish. Fortunately I had my back to the drop-off wall so I only had to watch in front. About that time I heard one of the other diver's speargun go off and the shark immediately took off in that direction. They learn pretty quickly to associate speargun noise with wounded fish, (so do goliaths).

I started my ascent pronto and stopped at 15' to do a safety decompression stop for 3 minutes, all the while spinning slowly in a circle so I could see if he returned. About a minute into the safety stop he came back and started circling 6 or 7 feet below me. I said F*** it to the rest of the safety stop and finished ascending. When I popped up the boat was 75 or a 100 feet from me and I asked them (read yelling) "please come get me, I have a shark on me". The problem was that one of the other divers had popped up just before me with the same problem and they were on the way to get him, heading away from me. Anyway they picked him up and hurried back over to me. The shark left as soon as the boat got close to me so I got into the boat with all limbs and a stringer of fish intact.

Just about that time our third diver surfaced yelling that he had several sharks for company. We picked him up safely and packed up to head home. I normally sleep in a bean bag for the three hour ride home but it took me an hour or so for the adrenaline to wear off. I don't kill sharks or anything else I'm not going to eat, this was the closest I have come to using my power-head on an aggressive shark in 40 plus years of diving. Makes for a good story anyway =).
    Last edited by butchbal; 08-14-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Well that is a good one.
    Stay calm and panic later.
    I grew up swimming, surfing and diving with some sort of shark around.
    Bull sharks are the DEVIL. I do not hate them but they freak me out and cause nightmares.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine

Awesome dive trip and huge Hogs! I make a Hogfish and it definitely generates the most stories when I am at an Art Show. Some divers were telling me that the biggest Hogs come from Jacksonville area. According to them, nobody really spearfished there and there was an abundance of very big Hogs, claiming they got many over 20#. The one I usually make is a 12-14# and I rarely bring one home from a show. People are very passionate about them! Shark tale is scary, but reminds me of a Lobstering excursion whe 2 Bulls got serious with us, but they were only 5-6'. Back at the boat there was a huge Permit right underneath it and when my wife saw it she swam right up my back LOL.
    2-HogFish.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12