A different way to tie the FG knot. - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HFF View Post
    Give it a try and let us know how it works. I lock my knots with 2 or three overhand (square knot or whatever) locks and then pull both ends. It works great for me and has been consistent. If the knot fails it is usually because there was a failure in the tying process. I can't remember the last time I had this knot fail though. The only thing I'd be concerned about is some of these super slick type braided lines. Then you may benefit from an even harder pull.
    I also use 3-4 half hitches to finish. Doesn't matter. In the first few you tube videos I saw, they used a "tool" ( a piece of dowel with rubber coating, I used a 12g shotgun shell wrapped in duct tape) to tighten the line. You can't pull hard enough with bare hands to make it work. According to them, the number one mistake was to trim before very strongly tightening the line. Some people do it by tying a hoook on and securing it to a cleat or something and holding the spool by hand and tightening that way. Early on, I forgot to tighten first, the knot looks beautiful, but pulled right apart w tension. If it works for you, great, but if it doesn't , you know why.
    You should have been here yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by kellercl View Post
    Maybe I'm a lazy fisherman but I don't get the love affair with fancy knots. I use a double uni and it has never failed me. The knot is beyond easy to tie and given it has never failed me, I see no reason to migrate to more complicated knots. My reaction to the inevitable 'best' knot is the smart*** remark of 'whatever knot one can tie well.'
    I was happy with the double uni also, but I've had some really big fish pull the braid thru the fluro knot. I would end up with braid , with the braid uni attached and no fluro. I started using a spider hitch to double the braid and still had problems. It didn't always happen, but happened enough on some trophy size fish. Another thing, if you are using a long topshot then that big uni knot has to go through every eye going in and out and doesn't lay very well on the spool. Just because an old way works, doesn't mean improvements can't be made. My old flip phone still works, but I don use it anymore. Or the double uni... good luck

Have tied a double uni forever and it works.Have had 150lb tarpon on and it held,landed
    44"snook and double uni held so what more can one ask from a note.Plus side of a FG knot
    is smaller knot,the negative is the fastest I've seen it tied in a boat is 2.5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltygatorvet View Post
    I was happy with the double uni also, but I've had some really big fish pull the braid thru the fluro knot. I would end up with braid , with the braid uni attached and no fluro. I started using a spider hitch to double the braid and still had problems. It didn't always happen, but happened enough on some trophy size fish. Another thing, if you are using a long topshot then that big uni knot has to go through every eye going in and out and doesn't lay very well on the spool. Just because an old way works, doesn't mean improvements can't be made. My old flip phone still works, but I don use it anymore. Or the double uni... good luck
    Fair enough. I'll switch if it ever pulls out, knock on wood that has never happened. I exclusively inshore fish and to date no snook has pulled it. Trophy snook wear through the leader long before the knot goes. I also really love how fast and easy it ties. I wish the knot was thinner, it doesn't pass through the guides well, but I only have a 3 to 4 ft leader anyway. My experience aligns with 10kman, it honestly has never failed, so I'm happy.

I don't disagree with either of you. I'm sure a lot more tarpon and snook have been caught with a double uni than fg. The tarpon and snook I've caught were with a double uni ( ive jumped but not boated a tarpon since learning the fg). Ive never had braid pull thru fluro w tarpon or snook. I have lost a great cobia, a good aj and a personal best gag.. In a hurry on the boat I'll tie a uni, but at home or not in a hurry in the boat I'll do a fg. Also, I think I use less leader material. If you tie a long leader, as it gets chafed, you just trim off a little, instead of re tying a new leader after loosing 12-18". But, I guess if it ain't broke.......

Quote Originally Posted by Saltygatorvet View Post
    I don't disagree with either of you. I'm sure a lot more tarpon and snook have been caught with a double uni than fg. The tarpon and snook I've caught were with a double uni ( ive jumped but not boated a tarpon since learning the fg). Ive never had braid pull thru fluro w tarpon or snook. I have lost a great cobia, a good aj and a personal best gag.. In a hurry on the boat I'll tie a uni, but at home or not in a hurry in the boat I'll do a fg. Also, I think I use less leader material. If you tie a long leader, as it gets chafed, you just trim off a little, instead of re tying a new leader after loosing 12-18". But, I guess if it ain't broke.......
    Honestly it sounds like you are targeting bigger fish in deeper water, where perhaps the double uni isn't appropriate. Which is reasonable. A big fish for me is a slot snook, if I were chasing 50+ inch cobia i would wager a guess the uni wouldn't be my favorite knot.

I agree with several statements here. I use double uni knots all the time. Biggest issues is casting with a long leader. Limits casting distance for sure. Several of my inshore rods have smaller top guides and this can be an issue. Both knots are great when tied right. To each his own. I definitely agree with the statement that the fg HAS to be pulled TIGHT before trimming. I learned the hard way...3 times! No mas!
    Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12ís

All knots should be pulled tight before trimming!!!

FG is about the best hand tied knot in terms of strength unless your bimini is consistent. For the tuna guy, it's worth tying the PR knot:

image004.jpg

I use a double uni and it has never failed me
    Me too, but when I bought my new Star Steller it has a very small tip top guide and the double uni was an issue because caught on the tip both casting and retrieving. Not an issue on any of my other rods but I switched to the FG on everything else because it's so much smoother and easier on the rod guides. It's really not that hard to tie with a little practice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast