Almost run over by someone texting
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Almost run over by someone texting

I never thought this would happen. Anchored 1/2 mile from the channel fishing South of Gandy this past Saturday.
    Saw a 40'-50' sailboat under power a mile away headed right for me, I thought I will keep an eye on him but he will see me and veer off. 200 yds away I got nervous, started waving my arms- still headed right for me. 100 yds away straight for me- starting to panic- hit my horn 4 times, nothing 60 yds hit another 3 or 4 times finally he woke up and saw me and veered off. Wife on the stern legs up on the gunnel looking aft, so called captain looking at his lap top sitting on his lap. I of course let a few expletive's fly- she looked up for 2 seconds then looked away, he never looked up. I guess he had it on auto pilot, was at the stern- no way he could see anything in front of him.

I guess after a few people get killed from this we will have to pass a law no texting behind the wheel of a boat
    Stay safe

The same thing can happen with a person who is farsighted and needs reading glasses to see detail on his chart plotter. They will stare at the screen for long periods to try and figure out where they are, and if the are not using bifocals they really can't see what's in front of them when they look up unless they remove the reading glasses. (I have been on a boat where the "captain" was guilty of this)
    Last edited by The Cat's Eye; 08-11-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Senior Member Turner River Terror's Avatar
    Couple Months ago a Navy Ship hit a Container Ship..or vise versa...WTH !
    Trust but Verify..
    Anybody can buy a boat....anybody,,
    Killin and Grillin

but the real question here....was his wife hot?

a big heavy jig on their deck or house gets attention too!

Try that offshore at night with a freighter. I am sure that is not texting related but I am sure autopilot is on and they are not moving course for a 23' CC. I am glad I have MMIS that alarms at a certain distance

Quote Originally Posted by Mako224 View Post
    I am glad I have MMIS that alarms at a certain distance
    Medicaid Management Information System

Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI)

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew

Quote Originally Posted by Steveb View Post
    I never thought this would happen. Anchored 1/2 mile from the channel fishing South of Gandy this past Saturday.
    Saw a 40'-50' sailboat under power a mile away headed right for me, I thought I will keep an eye on him but he will see me and veer off. 200 yds away I got nervous, started waving my arms- still headed right for me. 100 yds away straight for me- starting to panic- hit my horn 4 times, nothing 60 yds hit another 3 or 4 times finally he woke up and saw me and veered off. Wife on the stern legs up on the gunnel looking aft, so called captain looking at his lap top sitting on his lap. I of course let a few expletive's fly- she looked up for 2 seconds then looked away, he never looked up. I guess he had it on auto pilot, was at the stern- no way he could see anything in front of him.

I guess after a few people get killed from this we will have to pass a law no texting behind the wheel of a boat
    Stay safe
    How can he be texting if he was asleep? Or was he texting while on his laptop? What does texting have to do with your near miss?