Tarpon - Behavior Patterns and Reading Fish - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thanks for the great info and sharing those pics! inspiration...

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Great info thanks! I ran into them the other day, we jumped a couple and the boats show up. Question, I had no live or dead bait, what are the artificials you would recommend?

Thanks guys

Great info thanks! I ran into them the other day, we jumped a couple and the boats show up. Question, I had no live or dead bait, what are the artificials you would recommend?
    I like to keep a stockpile of DOA Baitbusters (trolling model) in assorted dark colors. 10inch Hogy Black lures also work, depending on the water depth we either put them straight on a circle hook (shallow water/laid up fish), or put them on a 1oz jighead.

That was a good post from someone who has certainly put their time in. My only question is what is your favorite brand of braided line? I'd like to think I tarpon fish a lot, but I have targeted them less than 10 times so far this year. My braided line busted not at the knot on the best fish I had on. New line, just not good I guess. With as few times as I get after them right now, I at least want to know that if I hook up I stand a chance of landing it.

Very nice.Thanks for taking the time.You forgot to tell them one thing.
    (If you want to catch fish you have to spend time on the water)

Try this on for size:

When feeding a tarpon, more of a reaction strike, you want the bait in its face. Like a dead bait on the bottom or a crab in the crystal clear water of Bahia Honda. To do so with a lure in most instances spooks the fish.

When getting a tarpon to eat, trying to get a tarpon to chase something, you want the lure above it. Like a fly or a baitbuster or a hogy...or even a crab on the beach around here.

There's a reason a tarpon's eyes are near the top of its head and it's mouth is upturned.

It chases and eats from below....generally.

But sometimes they'll even flip sideways or even completely upside down to eat -- even in mid or near the surface of the water.

They are an amazing and confusing fish.
    Last edited by Tarponator; 08-12-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnakiller View Post
    That was a good post from someone who has certainly put their time in. My only question is what is your favorite brand of braided line? I'd like to think I tarpon fish a lot, but I have targeted them less than 10 times so far this year. My braided line busted not at the knot on the best fish I had on. New line, just not good I guess. With as few times as I get after them right now, I at least want to know that if I hook up I stand a chance of landing it.
    Hard to beat 65lb Maxcuatro Power Pro.

My only question is what is your favorite brand of braided line? I'd like to think I tarpon fish a lot, but I have targeted them less than 10 times so far this year. My braided line busted not at the knot on the best fish I had on. New line, just not good I guess. With as few times as I get after them right now, I at least want to know that if I hook up I stand a chance of landing it.
    I use Powerpro. I'm not convinced the line matters as much as your line to line connections. However, I respool all of my reels once a year as it gets worn down.

Mike (Tarpon70) is correct in the placement of baits as well. There is a box in a tarpon's vision, about 2ft in front to 1ft over its head that they will track and eat baits if it is in that small window. They will not go out of their way to hunt something down, in general.
    Last edited by stpetebaitman; 08-14-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast