New project for under the cowl.
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

New project for under the cowl.

Friday I had my carbs synced and i wanted to run em Sunday, so took it out and putted around on the lake. Pulled the cowling because I noticed there was some corrosion on my spark plugs that i had changed back in June, i wanted to know where the cowling was leaking or how.

Anyway, long story short, water coming out of the thermostat housing. So assuming the water jacket gasket or the thermostat itself have bit the dust (after 18 years, i'm not surprised). So i called the shop, ordered the parts today. Looks pretty straight forward. 5 bolts, take stuff out, clean the crap out, put new stuff back in, bolts back on.

I also noticed how much it was sneezing and wheezing at idle, so replacing the oil check valve inbetween the oil reservoir and the fuel pump. changing that as well, the suspicion is it's stuck open, and running full throttle oil the whole time. Would explain a lot.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

It's running lean. Clean your carbs.

we just pulled the top one. There wasn't any varnish or anything. Floats were perfectly clean, jets were clean. Nothing gummy at all.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Someone else might chime in on this:
    I replaced my tstat, and broke the corroded bolts off. It was a pain drilling, and retreading etc...
    I told my "mechanic" buddy, and he said to back the bolts/screws out a little at a time, and then back in... Something about the corrosion slowly working its way out the threads vs breaking off. Dunno if it will work or not, but I wanted to give fair warning on potentially corroded bolts.

oh boy, sounds fun. I'll try and be careful. I was told if they won't budge out, to try and tighten and back and forth carefully to ease them out. If they break i can't drill/retap. i'll have to take it to a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
    Friday I had my carbs synced and i wanted to run em Sunday, so took it out and putted around on the lake. Pulled the cowling because I noticed there was some corrosion on my spark plugs that i had changed back in June, i wanted to know where the cowling was leaking or how.

Anyway, long story short, water coming out of the thermostat housing. So assuming the water jacket gasket or the thermostat itself have bit the dust (after 18 years, i'm not surprised). So i called the shop, ordered the parts today. Looks pretty straight forward. 5 bolts, take stuff out, clean the crap out, put new stuff back in, bolts back on.

I also noticed how much it was sneezing and wheezing at idle, so replacing the oil check valve inbetween the oil reservoir and the fuel pump. changing that as well, the suspicion is it's stuck open, and running full throttle oil the whole time. Would explain a lot.
    If the bolts are corroded in, try heating them smoking hot with a Mapp or propane torch. (use common sense) Let them cool right out, then gently apply back and forth torque. They'll usually come right out - the heat breaks down the corrosion product.

Got it. Bolts were corroded but i tightebed them a little. Then loosened. The gasket was almost completely gone. Cleaned everything for about an hour. Im no mechanic but i dont think that thermostat was working. Oh and she idles much better with yhe new check valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

should have replaced the poppet valve while i was changing the thermostat. Unfortunately I did not know what it was or that it existed until i pulled the thermostat housing off. So I didn't have the part. Got to the ramp Saturday, fired the motor up, and it was spewing salt water all over the place inside the cowling. put it back on the trailer, drove all over creation to find the part, which i had to pay for over the phone with a cc and have them put out by the gate in a box because they were closing. but it's replaced now and hopefully that is the end of it.