New 17' Carolina Style Flats Build - Page 14

Florida Sportsman

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    I have never posted on any message forum before, although I read them nearly every day. After reading the posts here for the last day or so, I felt compelled to post for the first time. I have been following Xcelerator's builds on several sites for the last year and a half. His first project was a stitch and glue 25' CC that turned out beautiful. I watched it going from a stack of plywood in the driveway to watching videos during his sea trials. It was all accomplished in a relatively short time frame. Along the way I have observed and learned a lot about the individual as a person.

He is very young, perhaps 23-25 yrs old based on photos I have seen

He works a full time job from 4 am to noon. Then works on his builds until well into the late evening hours.

Based on the posting times of the build pics he must only average 3 or 4 hrs of sleep.

He recently became a father, perhaps the average sleep time is even less now.

I have certainly admired his ambition and determination to succeed in an industry that he obviously loves. His attention to detail and the vision for what the final build should be, certainly far exceeds what one expect from such a young person. I have been amazed repeatedly watching his progress.

Along with nearly everyone else on this thread I highly commend Xcelerator for his efforts. I personally think he deserves all the support we can offer to him. Can we even imagine what sacrifices he and his family is making right now to build the American Dream, of being your own boss, being successful doing something you love???

Xcelerator don't be discouraged by those who are dragging down this thread, and repeatedly demonstrating total stupidity, and worse yet intense jealousy. Don't waste your time verbally sparring with idiots. when it comes to a battle of wits they are very poorly armed.

You are far too talented and gifted beyond your years to even pay attention to some WANNABE with a name that speaks volumes about his character.

Hotrod,

WOW! I feel like I know you. I guess you can learn a lot about someone following online. I am 25 years old. Yes it has been a tough and tiring last 2 years. I got married in January of 2010 and started a boat build in April of 2010. Since then it has been exactly what you stated, lots of sacrifice and hard work and a lot of understanding from my new wife. As you mentioned I also became a dad three week ago. Talk about sacrifice, being at the shop at night instead of at home with her is hard but I know it will all pay of and she more than anyone will hopefully benefit from it one day. Im lucky now because I have a day job that starts at 4:00 am but ends at noon so I can usually get 10 to 12 hours in at the boat shop. I should be in bed now, haha.

Im not the only one that makes this happen though. My best friend, Kaylan which is 24, dropped everything and moved down here on a limb last spring to partner up with me in this venture. He left a stable job and his family and came down here and started at a part time job and then later a full time job. He too works 50 hrs a week at the job that pays the bills and then the rest of his days, nights, and weekends at the shop just like me. It has been a very stressful, hard, and expensive learning curve for us both but we are starting to see the light thanks to all you supporters that keep cheering us on.

Its your great comments that give us all the satisfaction we need to go back into the shop every night and hand block the boats those extra 5 times or do something over 3 times until its perfect because we know when we post the pictures of the detail, people make us feel proud of our accomplishments. That being said it is easy to get under the skin when we have people bombard our builds trying to derail what we have going. Its good to see that most people like your self can see through all that and really see who we are.

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
    Could you please discuss on this public forum your licensing agreement with Boeing? Are you designing these parts AND building these parts, or is the design going to be subcontracted out to a manufacturer? What is the licensing agreement there? Did you provide Boeing with the licensing agreement for the cad/cam software you are utilizing? I hope you are not utilizing software without divulging to Boeing or their SHAREHOLDERS your licensing agreement for software that somebody else designed as a software "kit" and that you are using to design products for sale to them...............................

Like I said, What is the point here...Better yet, why does it affect you?

Back to xcelerator...keep the pics coming...

My licensing agreement isn't with Boeing, I do however have confidentiality clauses and non compete's with the third party contractor that builds the simulators on the Boeing platforms. You obviously don't know what a licensing agreement is. I license the software I buy, you can't make copies of it, each software issue has a usb key that must be plugged into the computer to access the software, etc. Licensing agreements only cover specific things, they don't come into play much with what I do.

I don't have any problems discussing those items up to the extent that my agreements allow. I wouldn't however brandish my work on a public forum if there were any kind of confidentiality agreements made.

Doubt anyone that was buying a new boat wouldn't want to know if their builder obtained their design lawfully.

As far as it affecting me.... it doesn't. All I did was ask the builder a legitimate question about his boat and his design.

Quote Originally Posted by xcelerator View Post
    Look dude, like I said before there is more to your rant here than being concerned about designs or licensing, etc. Im not sure what it is but im sure I wouldn't be surprised if I new. At the end of the day, we have a great relationship with Envi. We talk almost every day and you can even see this same build on the Envi site. On top of that we also help other Envi customers with other builds and have gained Envi a hand full of new customers by convincing them Envi is the way to go. If you knew anything about procedures when building boats from Envi and the differences between someone building for resale or them self, you would know that in our case it isn't a licensing agreement per boat. But rest assured everyone involved is taken care of per our agreement with Envi. Besides, if I were building boats of designs I didnt pay for, why would I show the build in places they would see it.

You also keep referring to the boats from Envi as kit boats. Again, they are not kits and neither a builder or amature building envi designed boats appreciates that, Envi included. I think what your trying to make it sound like is, "Hey everyone, you can go to Envi and buy a kit. You will receive a box of parts and a detailed instruction manual to guide you through the whole build and you will have a great looking boat at the end. " This is not the case. You get a jig which only guides the shape of the hull. That's it. The only instructions included is the dimensions of the base you put the jig on. You then have to go buy your lumber, composits, hardware, finishes, wiring, etc, etc, etc. And then figure out how to do ever single job and on top of that make it all turn out perfect. A kit consists of a number of small things needed to make one big thing. I think what your trying to really say to everyone is "hey guys, what they're doing here really isnt all that technical or special because they are building a "kit boat".

As said above, im not going to get into our agreements with Envi or and suppliers as far as that goes because A. its none of your business and B. they dont want them discussed publicly either. If anyone has questions for us retaining to purchasing a boat, then we discuss any info with them and answer any questions they ask us. Please move on now. I have boats to build and a business to run. I dont need your, help, advice, or opinions nor really have the time to defend my product over such bull s**t remarks.
    Dude, you look. If you would have responded to my first question with an answer that wasn't complete crap... we wouldn't be here. I have said on these posts three different times that I think your doing a great job on the build, I would like to see more. I encourage anyone to go after their hopes, dreams, etc, etc, etc.

All I really wanted to know was that you were doing right by the original designer. Thats it. You didn't have to go into detail about any kind of agreements.

As far as your issue with the "kit" term. DUDE, GET REAL.... ITS A KIT. You can buy the jigs, keel, stringer, bulkheads, transom, doors, decks... all from Envi. They call it a "KIT" on their site. Who cares if its a kit, when you say its not a kit its just makes you look like a jackass.

Follow the bouncing ball man.... who gives two shyts if its a kit or not, nobody does. You said you have 2000 hours in it. Who the f--k is going to build that in their spare time, nobody. It would take a part timer 5 years. They are gonna pay someone like YOU to build it. Don't know why you were being evasive about the whole thing, people don't care if your up front about it.

Good luck with the build.

Quote Originally Posted by benpimpin1 View Post
    My licensing agreement isn't with Boeing, I do however have confidentiality clauses and non compete's with the third party contractor that builds the simulators on the Boeing platforms. You obviously don't know what a licensing agreement is. I license the software I buy, you can't make copies of it, each software issue has a usb key that must be plugged into the computer to access the software, etc. Licensing agreements only cover specific things, they don't come into play much with what I do.

I don't have any problems discussing those items up to the extent that my agreements allow. I wouldn't however brandish my work on a public forum if there were any kind of confidentiality agreements made.

Doubt anyone that was buying a new boat wouldn't want to know if their builder obtained their design lawfully.

As far as it affecting me.... it doesn't. All I did was ask the builder a legitimate question about his boat and his design.
    1) You have missed the point.
    2) I know what a licensing agreement is, but MY lawyer tells ME what it means.
    3) Shouldn't you be pimpin' somewhere?

benpimpin1,

Good god man give it a freakin rest. I for one want to see this build finished on this website and not have to track it down somewhere else because of you, being the pain in the *** here, shut it down. If you have any specific questions give the man a PM; dont be another **** on the board. If I get banned for this so be it.

Excelerator,

Keep up the good work man. I still want to see this boat finished up in all its glory despite the naysayers.
    Last edited by lemonheadmech; 08-18-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Excelerator, I just want to add to the comments above, please keep the updates coming, your work is amazing. I do some wood work myself and know that at your talent level it's a gift. As for "others" on this thread I will quote another members signature; "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Redaction View Post
    Excelerator, I just want to add to the comments above, please keep the updates coming, your work is amazing. I do some wood work myself and know that at your talent level it's a gift. As for "others" on this thread I will quote another members signature; "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Good luck to you!
    Absolutely X2!

Keep the build pics coming!

Even the big boat builders I am pretty sure outsource the desgin of their boat. Like it was send before a hull is one thing its how you build it and rig it that makes it a boat.

I could not in a million years do what you are doing. Heck, i can barely get the tv stand i bought at IKEA put together
    It works 60% of the time all the time......

Quote Originally Posted by Redaction View Post

Good luck to you!
    X3

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast