7/13 Clearwater inshore
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

7/13 Clearwater inshore

Yesterday i spent the day with my favorite person doing my favorite thing, tarpon fishing with my son. He has turned into a fine young man is gonna be an upstanding Gator next month. He has become a tarpon fisherman. Launched at first light with the wind a little stronger than expected.
    7-13 sunrise.jpg

We worked our way out about a mile and a half offshore where we found some fish pushing in. They did not eat our offerings. We saw a pod moving north towards us, set up and after a few minutes one popped up right next to the boat. We did not hook up, but could tell fish were moving around and into the area we were but not feeding. We were getting beat up by the wind and waves. After moving in tight to the beach to avoid the wind at about 8 o'clock we saw some action on bait pods nearby, I deployed a ladyfish I had been hauling around. within 30 seconds fish were on on it, one flew in the air coming tight but not getting hooked, she nailed it again and jumped again, tossing it in the air and as it hit another smaller fish (about 100 lbs) flew threw the air taking the bait and ripping line. Lost the fish. Man, I was bumming that we did not get that on gopro or pics. It was a most spectacular scene and take, the coolest I've experienced.
    About 5 minutes later my son hooked up with a beast that rolled on his grunt and headed right into the beach we followed, got her near boat and then she went south in shallow water and never stopped, with about 100 yds of line out, 100 lb leader chaffed through.
    tarpon on.jpg
    All in all no tarpon were boated or harmed.
    It was 10:30 and getting hot so we headed to the bridge for some shade and snapper fishing. They were there in full force, catching a fish with nearly every cast. I was breaking shrimp in half. 1st mango my son pulled in, it was a good 13", after weeding through dozens of small fish we did come home with 5 fish from 12" to 14" for dinner.
    Storms were building so we decided headed in just after noon. Threw my 1 oz. jig with purple plastic one for one last cast to the tarpon sitting down below that would not eat, and bam! on with a monster going out against the current, i tightened down drag as we were anchored and she popped off, bending the hook. Stopped and picked up a tripletail to join us for dinner, too.
    7-13 cooler shot.jpg

ps. on the way home had a blowout on the pkwy. Spare seemed low, even though I topped it off a couple weeks ago, but did not check that morning. Spare had slow leak apparently. made it gas gas station for air, noticed a big shiny piece of metal in front truck tire too. Need 3 new tires and a spare spare for trailer.
    Last edited by permit_me; 07-14-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Nice report
    Great way to raise a young man

Great report thanks for sharing. I've snapper fished at the bridge half a dozen times and never caught one, are you using a 2oz weight to keep it on the bottom? Every time we have fished there the current has been too strong to keep a bait down.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
    Great report thanks for sharing. I've snapper fished at the bridge half a dozen times and never caught one, are you using a 2oz weight to keep it on the bottom? Every time we have fished there the current has been too strong to keep a bait down.
    We were using shrimp/shrimp pieces. 20 lb leader w/ 1/4 oz strike king jig head, he was using 2/0 trokar inline circle w/ a 1/16 oz sinker. current was ripping and fish were taking bait just a feet below surface. often they are easier to get when current slows. Those things are there close to year round.

I'll have to try harder next time i guess. We use 20lb flouro too. Thanks! I may lengthen my leader from 2' to 6 too.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Nice work!

Lots of excitement and a fine meal too. Very nice!

Nice
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING! IS BETTER THAN A DAY HOME WITH THE WIFE!!

Fantastic!

Sounds like a great trip

great job - my only 2 jumps this yr have been on grunts..its been a tough season for me..

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast