What's your favorite type of concrete anchor? - Page 3
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by PROFINITY View Post
    I don't like the design/engineering you are using. Put supports under the shelf.
    No room. It's a cross beam about 2' tall against the ceiling. I could bolt it into the concrete floor above....but this is designed to be installed as pictured.

After some testing, and for what it's worth, I'm going to go with 1/4" wedge bolts like this:

They're rated for about 1k lbs each -- far above tapcons and titen bolts -- and by my calculations they should be more than strong enough for the load I intend to put on them (and there are 2 bolts per support member).

I'll take a pic once compete -- still doing the other carpentry project so it'll be a few days yet before I get back to this project -- and I thank you all sincerely for the help.

The next question is if I'll need a hammer drill or of I can get away with my old Milwaukee standard electric drill -- the standard drill worked fine during my test, even if it took a while to drill the holes...Mike

p.s. it's not easy to drill through rebar reinforcements...I'll have to be careful to stay clear of them when I do the final holes...and I wonder aloud if there's any way to locate the rebar before drilling.
    Last edited by Tarponator; 07-17-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarponator View Post
    A man has to know is limitations. Home improvement is one of mine. Tapcons? Expanding type bolts? It's all Greek to me! Hopefully one of you can help...

I'm putting up some shelves in my garage to store some of the crap I've accumulated over the years. The shelves are to be anchored in a sold reinforced concrete beam. Not a cinder block structure, but rather a solid cross member supporting the concrete 2nd floor of my home. It's about two feet tall.

My question is how to best anchor the shelving to the beam....as the bolts (and instructions) that came with assume you will be anchoring it into studs in a wall.

I've done some research, but I'm still not quite sure how to best anchor the screws/bolts that support the shelves into the beam, and thus my question and this thread.

Here's a picture of the system I'm installing, in case that helps....

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance...Mike

anchor some 2x4s (not really - ha ha more like 1 and something by 2 and something) to the concrete with tapcons then screw your shelves to the 2x4s.

Sheer vs. tensile strength is my concern. Have you considered a heavy gauge shelving unit from a store like Sam's Club? They are inexpensive and have significant load capacity.

BTW- If you are close to Stuart, I can loan you a cordless hammer drill that will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by PROFINITY View Post
    Sheer vs. tensile strength is my concern. Have you considered a heavy gauge shelving unit from a store like Sam's Club? They are inexpensive and have significant load capacity.
    I'm hoping not to have that concern. The ones I bought are made in the USA products with very good reviews (but they are a bit pricey compared to some).

http://www.rhinoshelf.com/

Now that I have them in hand, they do seem to be a quality product made of steel and then painted....Mike

p.s. I'm over in Tampa -- a bit too far to drive to Stuart -- but I do appreciate the offer to borrow your hammer drill.
    Last edited by Tarponator; 07-17-2017 at 07:50 PM.

A good friend of mine has been in the biz for over 50 years, he has always recommened the Red Head brand..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123