TRANSDUCER HELP PLEASE!!!!!
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TRANSDUCER HELP PLEASE!!!!!

HI guys,

I'm building a new boat and installing dual Garmin 7612XSV units.
    I personally like the Garmin product and am very used to it having had 8212's, 7212's, etc.

My dilemma involves the transducer/transducers.

I bought the XSV units to eliminate the GSD boxes.

I would like to have SIDE SCAN , CHIRP as well as just reading depth and temperature.

The ideas are to have 2 transducers installed.

Here is my issue. There are sooooooo many units, my head is spinning.

I was told to look at the Airmar B175C-20-HW for side scan and chirp and the Airmar B175M for just basic operation.

Does anyone else have ideas, suggestions or comments (negative or positive) to share please?

Also, they will be in a 31' or 35' Twinvee Catamaran and was wondering if the transducers will interfere with each other.

Lot's of questions but I'm a real novice when it comes to the new equipment, I'd appreciate any and all help.

Thanks much

Cheers

Eric

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

If you would like the best possible quality answers to your questions, you might try to include some more information on the depths that you want to reach & the resolution that you are looking for at various depths. Changing frequency ranges will give you a trade off between depth & resolution. Increasing power can improve both depth and resolution at the same time. Very high power transducers often require separate power feed wires. If possible, those extra wires are something that you want to plan for before the boat is rigged.

You also might want to start thinking about if you want thru-hull, shoot through the hull, or external mount transducers. Shoot through the hull gives the cleanest installation, but usually gives reduced performance, prevents the temperature sensor from working properly & can create issues with heat dissipation, especially on the high power units. Thru-hull units require you to punch holes in your nice new hulls. External mount units have their own set of obvious issues.

Hi Eric

I have the Garmin 7610xsv. The transducer I chose was the Gt51m-tm. Which is the transom mount with 3 elements, so it has chirp/side scan/ down scan. Marks great while running and I have marked up to 1500'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric,
    I've got the Garmin 7610xsv in my boat now. I recently (Thanks to Remel198) on the south section of this forum, put an AIRMAR B-175-M in my boat. It puts out a KW of power. Previously, I had the B-75-H, but that ducer is only good to about 400 feet.

The difference in performance is like night and day. I was reading bottom to 980' while running, something I haven't been able to do before. That unit is a CHIRP unit as you know. It will require about a "4" (FOUR) inch HOLE in the bottom of your boat.

It runs about $1300. - I got it through "Semperfifishing" on the hull truth. ($896.00 delivered the next day!!!)
    The guys name is Gil Travis.

Now.... I know you are a Garmin fan, and so am I... BUT, if I had it to do all over again, THIS is what I would buy:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/semperfi...july-sale.html

It's the newest, latest and greatest from Furuno. It's got 3-D resolution.

Anyway. Give the man a call. There are tons of posts from people on THT giving a positive review of him. You won't get a better price on equipment either.
    He's an electrical engineer and knows sonar and GPS technology intimately.

And, he will be happy to enlighten you on any issues from equipt, to the installation in a twin-vee hull as well, including any conflicts between transducers.

For the record. I have the B-175-M (thru hull), coupled with the GT-30 transom mount for side/down view.
    The GT-51 M tm will actually be a better choice for your transom mount unit.

Give him a call. Let me know how you do. (Think Furuno!)
    Last edited by Flight Risk; 07-10-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Pura Vida!

We are running Airmar B175 HW and a B175L thru hulls.
    Great bottom read but the installer I referenced in other post runs a 3KW in hull
    and swears he can see a sword take a dump at 2000' ???

Be wary though if you equip too well there are fewer excuses for not catching.
    That's where I am ! ! !
    Talk soon.

Jim,
    Hey buddy, I wasn't specific enough even though I already knew the application I needed. It will be a Thru Hull and I have it narrowed down I believe.

Jim II,
    I was really looking at that UNTIL I spoke with Gil Travis who Big Bill recommended. Having a Cat Hull, makes it an impossibility to mount since it needs to be between the engines according to him. Thanks for the recommendation and the call out.

Bill,
    Great recommendation with Gil Travis. I spoke to him and see my response to Lance below:

Lance,
    I spoke to Gil Travis who Big Bill recommended and he recommended the following believe it or not:

B175HW for the CHIRP transducer which is good for bottom fishing up to about 400'

B175L which is also CHIRP and will paint at least to 1500' (he said maybe deeper depending on the install, etc)

Its interesting that this is the same setup you have so if you don't mind, may I call you tomorrow to pick your brain since I might have to take a loan out to purchase these 2 guys.LOL

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Fish n View Post
    "I might have to take a loan out to purchase these 2 guys.LOL"
    One more thing comes to mind since you mentioned the above.
    You want to make sure of the dead rise angle if that is a consideration. If the transducer will be mounted in a flat area of the hull, then obviously a "0" degree unit will prevail.

Let us know what you end up with.
    BB

Pura Vida!

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Fish n View Post
    Jim,
    Hey buddy, I wasn't specific enough even though I already knew the application I needed. It will be a Thru Hull and I have it narrowed down I believe.

Jim II,
    I was really looking at that UNTIL I spoke with Gil Travis who Big Bill recommended. Having a Cat Hull, makes it an impossibility to mount since it needs to be between the engines according to him. Thanks for the recommendation and the call out.

Bill,
    Great recommendation with Gil Travis. I spoke to him and see my response to Lance below:

Lance,
    I spoke to Gil Travis who Big Bill recommended and he recommended the following believe it or not:

B175HW for the CHIRP transducer which is good for bottom fishing up to about 400'

B175L which is also CHIRP and will paint at least to 1500' (he said maybe deeper depending on the install, etc)

Its interesting that this is the same setup you have so if you don't mind, may I call you tomorrow to pick your brain since I might have to take a loan out to purchase these 2 guys.LOL

Cheers
    Anytime 772.631.2882

I have the Airmar B 175m on my 26 Twin Vee. It works very well. Easily reads in over 2000 ft. It was reading the bottom in 2100 ft running back from the Bahamas at 28 mph on a glass calm ocean.

Fireman Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman Bill View Post
    I have the Airmar B 175m on my 26 Twin Vee. It works very well. Easily reads in over 2000 ft. It was reading the bottom in 2100 ft running back from the Bahamas at 28 mph on a glass calm ocean.

Fireman Bill
    Fireman Bill,
    I just got the same unit installed recently, havent had an opportunity to thoroughly test it yet - that's great news to me - thanks!

Pura Vida!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast