Need Help - Yamaha F-200 - Lower unit, top drive shaft bearing
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Need Help - Yamaha F-200 - Lower unit, top drive shaft bearing

Hi All, (400 hours on the engine - total time)

I have the lower unit removed, water pump off etc. Was getting ready to install the new pump. When rotating the vertical DRIVE SHAFT, there is a definite roughness while turning it. (either direction) It's NOT smooth. There seems to be a little bit of resistance and a slight sound of bearing noise that transfers through the the case.
    There is no evidence of leaking seals and there's never been a low oil condition in the gear case. (btw: the motor is 2 months out of it's 3 year warranty)

The horizontal propeller shaft is absolutely smooth and quiet.

Is there an outboard mechanic or anyone here on the forum that is familiar with doing lower units? - and, knows if this is a normal condition, or an indication that the upper bearing is worn and in need of replacement?
    And,
    If it needs to be replaced, does anyone have a recommendation on a good mechanic or shop who will do the work?

I can reinstall the water pump myself etc... I just need someone who has a bearing carrier puller and can replace the bearing and seals for me if that is what's called for.

It's hard to believe that the engine would need a new top bearing at 400 hours. The gear case has always been maintained every 100 hours filled to the top vent as recommended. There's no indication of water intrusion.

I would appreciate any advice or comments.

Big Bill

Pura Vida!

- FYI -
    A forum member in the 'South' section gave me a contact to call. His name is Rolando, at Superior Outboard Service in Miami. I called him and explained the problem. He knew exactly what the issue was. Here's his response:

He explained that once I removed the wavy pressure washer that sits on top of the water pump housing, it allowed the drive shaft to drop slightly a bit further into the case which takes the pinion gear out of alignment below. When I rotated the shaft at that point, I was feeling misaligned gears meshing which gives the sound and feel of a bad bearing.

To test it, he said to rotate the main shaft while holding upward pressure on it, and it should feel smooth.
    I did, and, it does! No issue with it after all. I am thrilled at this point.
    The unit will be back on the boat by the end of the day, or tomorrow.

This forum is great for putting people together and helping each other out.
    take care everybody

Pura Vida!

That's great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk