SLI 6-16 Fat boy cobia and a snook...
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SLI 6-16 Fat boy cobia and a snook...

Today was an interesting day to say the least. Had a charter with a nice guy and rob from canada who wanted to catch his first snook and maybe his first tarpon. I don't do much tarpon fishing so I don't expect much until I pull up at the bait spot and see juvenile tarpon rolling all around the boat. There is a pod tightly jammed up all in one spot and I figure man here we go. How can I miss? I toss a pilchard in and within seconds its getting blasted on top by what I can see are tarpon. A few misses and boom we are on. Im stoked but it doesn't jump. Turns out to be a bull shark. No idea how in all of those tarpon the shark ended up with my bait.

After that wasted half hour we head to the inlet and grab a 22" snook wich is robs first. Good to get that off the list. Tide goes slack and we head to bull shark to load up on bait planning to come back inside. While out I decide its so flat we are gonna take those juicy baits and let rob pull on some real muscle offshore. He was stoked just to catch a few bonita at bull shark so when I took him to the reef and he got into the monster offshore bonita he was having a blast. Continued to get harassed by bonita at seemingly no inconvenience to Rob. Missed a big king that skied on our baits and got tail wrapped and then just as I say we are gonna finish these baits and roll out I see a couple of brown clowns come out of nowhere and circle the boat. Heres where it gets interesting: 1-all we have is snook tackle(4500 size cabo with 20 lb braid, 40 lb mono leader,3/0 j hook. and 2-I have no gaff as I didn't plan on coming offshore. Anyway thank god rob is an experienced angler and handles the fish perfectly on the way too lite setup. I try to net him with my snook net and he swims right through it. Rob passes the whole rod through the hole in the net and continues to fight. Such luck. Anyway after half hour another boat drifts close enough for me to holler my story at him and he lends me a gaff. The light leader hangs on and I stick him. After that we count our blessings and call it a day! Ends up being a great day for rob on a solo charter. Makes me feel great since this is only the 2nd charter Ive done privately on my own boat. Good to get em on fish and get some pics for the forum boys! Enjoy! My 6 month old daughter Gia seemed to really dig that cobia! 19059780_1488744711189345_8361324198823622877_n.jpg19113724_1488744577856025_6341283583620649129_n.jpg19113761_1488744604522689_2938147276367678675_n.jpg19225232_1488744547856028_5811191197368733084_n.jpg
    Capt. Joe Ferranti. Lunker-Man Fishing Adventures llc.
    18' Sailfish 188CC, Yamaha F115, Motorguide Xi5 w/pinpoint gps

I was the guy who came to you with the gaff. You're very lucky...had it not been dead calm, no wind, I would have never had heard you calling. I got all my gear in (3 rods--two with top livies, one on the bottom) and got to you very quickly.

I'm glad I did...that was great watching you guys catch that huge fish and watching as you celebrated.....great stuff!

I'm glad I did that....all I usually ever see out there is fishermen being asses to each other. I don't understand why.....everybody seems to think they're the ocean police......you waked me, you're going to fast, you're on my numbers, etc, etc, etc.....it's really laughable. What we all should be doing is just looking out for each other. I'm glad I could provide a gaff when someone was in need. I'll do it again...any day.

We need like buttons ����

Good job fellas
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......

Awesome story! My best fish have always come when we were completely unprepared or something was jacked up... Kudos to rod for the assist!

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    I was the guy who came to you with the gaff. You're very lucky...had it not been dead calm, no wind, I would have never had heard you calling. I got all my gear in (3 rods--two with top livies, one on the bottom) and got to you very quickly.

I'm glad I did...that was great watching you guys catch that huge fish and watching as you celebrated.....great stuff!

I'm glad I did that....all I usually ever see out there is fishermen being asses to each other. I don't understand why.....everybody seems to think they're the ocean police......you waked me, you're going to fast, you're on my numbers, etc, etc, etc.....it's really laughable. What we all should be doing is just looking out for each other. I'm glad I could provide a gaff when someone was in need. I'll do it again...any day.

Good job, you've got some good mojo coming your way
    There is no greater passion than that of a fisherman.
    Avatar photo: Grandparents and my Dad at Blowing Rocks, Jupiter 1923.

Team work makes it happen.
    Take note Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by N2naclh20 View Post

Good job, you've got some good mojo coming your way
    Absolutely!

Great report and good job on covering a fellow angler's back - you owe him a beer bro!

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post

You are correct bud! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you pulling up your spread and coming to the rescue. I hated to interrupt your fishing but I figured anyone who was a fisherman had to understand my situation! haha! I was really hoping that other fish would hang around and you would get a hook up for your kind efforts! But The guys are right! You've got some good karma coming your way and I certainly owe you a cold one. Thanks again for being a dude of all dudes!
    Capt. Joe Ferranti. Lunker-Man Fishing Adventures llc.
    18' Sailfish 188CC, Yamaha F115, Motorguide Xi5 w/pinpoint gps

Great job Joe, and I tip my hat to you for the good deed Rod! That will somehow come back as a blessing to you.
    Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast