FPI Offshore report 6/15
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FPI Offshore report 6/15

Snapper bite continues to be good on the offshore bar in 80'. Good news is they are hitting live sardines as soon as it hits bottom. Bad news is they wouldn't touch anything else. We tried live pilchards, dead sardines, cut bait etc. nothing else was touched. My favorite bait, grunt plugs, got nothing.

12a bouy was holding lots of sardines and we stopped there and got a few but figured since we had a well filled with pilchards we had plenty of bait - big mistake, you never have too much bait. Anyway, as soon as we ran out of live sardines we didn't get another bite.

Kingfish were hitting the flatlines and we got a few in the 10lb range and a small dolphin hit a live pilchard. We did have a big cobia hit a dead pilchard and had him up to the boat 3 times close enough to gaff but each time he took another long run. Finally comes close enough and before the gaff is in the water a final head shake and he's gone.

I thought we did ok but wished we would have stayed at the bouy to get more bait. Guys came to the cutting table right after us, they were fishing same depth about a mile away. They stayed at the 12a and filled up on sardines. looked like they had a dozen mangos, 3 good sized dolphins and a big red grouper. He confirmed that live sardines were the bait of choice.

Great job out there on the mixed bag catch.

Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Snapper bite continues to be good on the offshore bar in 80'. Good news is they are hitting live sardines as soon as it hits bottom. Bad news is they wouldn't touch anything else. We tried live pilchards, dead sardines, cut bait etc. nothing else was touched. My favorite bait, grunt plugs, got nothing.

12a bouy was holding lots of sardines and we stopped there and got a few but figured since we had a well filled with pilchards we had plenty of bait - big mistake, you never have too much bait. Anyway, as soon as we ran out of live sardines we didn't get another bite.

Kingfish were hitting the flatlines and we got a few in the 10lb range and a small dolphin hit a live pilchard. We did have a big cobia hit a dead pilchard and had him up to the boat 3 times close enough to gaff but each time he took another long run. Finally comes close enough and before the gaff is in the water a final head shake and he's gone.

I thought we did ok but wished we would have stayed at the bouy to get more bait. Guys came to the cutting table right after us, they were fishing same depth about a mile away. They stayed at the 12a and filled up on sardines. looked like they had a dozen mangos, 3 good sized dolphins and a big red grouper. He confirmed that live sardines were the bait of choice.

Hey great day ! What is the /where is the 80' bar in fort pierce ? I know nothing about bottom fishing but would like to try it out of ft pierce.

Nice work. Thanks for the info.
    East Boynton

Out of FPI it's about 12 -15 miles out, the further north you go the more relief/greater depth changes in the bar, south is less relief and more sand bottom and hard bottom is more scattered. Generally the tide runs a little harder to the south as the stream is closer to the bar south of the inlet.

Toughest call is that decision heading out in the morning. Lately, I think the bite has been better to the south and that's the direction I headed yesterday.

Really good report, nice catch...
    Greg,
    Any day on the water...., you know the rest....

Out of FPI it's about 12 -15 miles out, the further north you go the more relief/greater depth changes in the bar, south is less relief and more sand bottom and hard bottom is more scattered. Generally the tide runs a little harder to the south as the stream is closer to the bar south of the inlet.

Toughest call is that decision heading out in the morning. Lately, I think the bite has been better to the south and that's the direction I headed yesterday.
    So if I head out east 12-15 miles am I looking for anything specific or just that 80' depth range ?

Quote Originally Posted by flknifemaker View Post
    So if I head out east 12-15 miles am I looking for anything specific or just that 80' depth range ?
    Basically that's it just head out to 80', Around 12 miles out you should start to see commercial kingfish boats and recreational boats working that bar and start watching your sonar for hard bottom. Before you get there it's mostly sand desert for miles. During the week we usually fish alone with just a few kingfish guys doing their circle troll.

My best numbers I got from drifting that zone and just watching the sonar. On a weekend you will see the line of boats anchored up especially along the north end where there is more bottom. Most of the ledges face E or SE so she the tide runs right anchoring up is easy. if we get north tide then it's hard to position.

Nice haul BD!
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T

BD thank you for the detail information , I think I may try it out tomorrow afternoon . I know the sardines have been thick at 12a so I'll stop there and try for some first then head east from there and see if I can find the depth changes . 12a is roughly 5 miles south of the inlet , do you think that's too far south first to head directly east from there ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast