Halibut? Just a big flounder!
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Halibut? Just a big flounder!

Since this forum is my home forum I thought I would share my latest trip from out here in the great northwest. I am working in Oregon and decided since I am already here to try my hand at a Pacific Halibut. Newport, Oregon has some excellent charters, and I took passage on the Enterprise with Capt. Dave from Newport Tradewinds charters. The fishing grounds were about an hour and 40 min from port, or about 25 - 30 miles out, and with a very short season there were a lot of boats there. Seas were not bad for up here, about a 3-4ft wind wave on top of a 6 ft swell, with the temp in the high 50s and a 50% chance of rain, not your typical Florida weather. I had asked the Captain if anyone had ever caught a Halibut on a spinning reel on his boat and he looked at me and said "You know we will be fishing in 6 to 7 hundred feet right?" So I said, "No problem"... Captain Dave sure had them locked in because on the first drop we were hooked up as soon as it hit bottom. Boat limited out on 3 drifts and were back at dock in 6 hours total, usually a 12 hour trip... It is nice to check out fishing in other locals just to remind myself how good we have it in south Florida.... By the way, Stella 20000 on a Terez 6'9'' impressed the Captain... Florida style!20170610_120128-1_1497395172336_resized.jpg20170610_091920_1497395200496_resized.jpg
    Greg,
    Any day on the water...., you know the rest....

Nicely done, thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to give Halibut a try.

Thanks Shoeless, its about like deep drop back home in Florida, and the meat is really good....
    Greg,
    Any day on the water...., you know the rest....

Way to represent Florida! Halibut on a spinning reel!

Thanks for the report. That's some great eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like me some halibut ! Caught some in Cali and Alaska . Nice job.
    "You'll get your weather"

Nice