SLI LUCAYA BERRY's ELBOW
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SLI LUCAYA BERRY's ELBOW

Plan was to billfish and hunt YFT with some deep dropping sprinkled in between. Weather was fantastic up until the last couple days when a very late season gale off the mid atlantic whipped up what I would consider to be a more spring or fall like set up with very gusty 30-40+ Kt SW winds ahead of a "front" which happened to occur for the couple hours we were arriving and exiting the bank to cross home. (Day after our return, there was a 4' north swell which is beyond rare for June). Aside from that little rush, it was smooth runnings...

Made some new friends in the Berry's and saw some very old friends in elbow. Fishing for Tunas was slow, raised several and released a couple blues (one in pocket and one off elbow) and did well on the DD.

Been busy following the trip but wanted to post some of the photos I have shared on social media already. Have tons of clips and photos to edit for my website but in the meantime, I hope you enjoy...

JJ

advertising work on approach to settlement point

familiar surroundings

leaving bell channel

new friends in the Berry Islands

Teamwork

Tasty Box

More (right on time) Marketing Work

Multi Tasking

Planted a seed to run to the pocket

And the seed shall bear fruit

Finally marked a decent pack of birds on way from Berrys to Hole in the wall

Familiar scene at Firefly

More DD'n (with forum member SALTY GATOR)

More Dinner

More Work

Felt blessed to be lucky enough to bait and switch this mid 200# blue one just off the dredge

Underwater frame grab of same fish

Happy Angler and Crew (click on small photo to load quick video clip)

Mother Nature always has her say
    Captain James Jolly

Maribella Charters, LLC
    www.MaribellaCharters.com
    ph: 772.222.7101
    CaptainJamesJolly@MaribellaCharters.com

Very nice pics of the Marlin, as well as the box full of Yellow-eyes and Queens & YFT.
    Am hoping to go over soon and try my luck at deep dropping on the other side. Having not ever fished there, I'm hoping to find some fish worthy of putting in the box.
    I am open to any suggestions of places to try if there are any benevolent anglers out there willing to steer me in the right direction. I'm planning to stay at one of the places on West End.

Pura Vida!

Awesome trip and looks like the deep drop was on fire! How did you take that pic of the blue on the computer screen?
    Captain for Controlled Chaos Fishing Team
    Previous forum name jfenn10
    Check us out on Facebook @ https://m.facebook.com/ControlledCha...?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Flight Risk View Post
    Very nice pics of the Marlin, as well as the box full of Yellow-eyes and Queens & YFT.
    Am hoping to go over soon and try my luck at deep dropping on the other side. Having not ever fished there, I'm hoping to find some fish worthy of putting in the box.
    I am open to any suggestions of places to try if there are any benevolent anglers out there willing to steer me in the right direction. I'm planning to stay at one of the places on West End.
    If you have a good electric and wiring/battery bank on your boat to support, several different size weights (depending on amount of current) several different deep drop rigs (hook sizes types etc depending on what is working best) some frozen squid and barracuda chunks, and a good bottom reader, you can find relative good success right off a good portion of settlement point area from just offshore Blue Marlin Cove up to memory rock area. Generally you are looking for deeper water species of snapper like yellow eye, blackfin (button), silky's, queens, and black snapper. Occasionally you may find grouper species like mystics. Try in a 300-700 ft range with a nice amount of current but not ripping at 5-7kts either. Find some good bottom you like hopefully marking something interesting on a slope of hard rocky craggy bottom (not sheer cliff but not flat ground either). Go into neutral and see how your drift pattern sets up on your GPS. Figure out where you want to drop to hit that target area as you drift. Hopefully you get hit and can continue to reset up current and get your self into a pattern. Another option to speed up this process is to hire a guide who has bonafide #'s and immediately save you lots of time and learning curve. **not every guide is worth the $ however, so I would ask around here first for suggestions on local guides for the island you are headed to or someone you may want to consider coming with you on the trip from Florida.
    Captain James Jolly

Maribella Charters, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by ControlledChaos View Post
    Awesome trip and looks like the deep drop was on fire! How did you take that pic of the blue on the computer screen?

On my charters, I'm usually wearing about 6 hats from rigging baits, setting spreads, adjusting spreads deploying and monitoring dredges and squid teasers, running the boat, watching the radar, fetching drinks for guests, and when we get a fish on, it's kicks up 100 fold as I'm grabbing a go pro or two, grabbing my good quality camera, grabbing my iPhone, etc...... It's controlled chaos for me but in the end, my clients don't even realize I'm doing all that stuff and end up being surprised and all love the memories being preserved on either video or a good quality still image. I still step in and leader and release or gaff fish at that right time but until then I'm super multi tasking haha I'm probably reviewing my good quality camera images on the laptop in the boat later in the night after all settles down and guests are off to bed. I must have snapped a shot of the computer screen showing the good quality photo or a frame grab off the underwater go pro footage with my iPhone. My good camera is a Canon digital rebel if that is what you were asking... Cheers!
    Captain James Jolly

Maribella Charters, LLC

It was a pleasure to fish with James again. Trolling was hit or miss but the 2 caught and several missed marlin made it worthwhile. Note that the hot marlin bait in the pic above is the dreaded cedar plug. We were pulling primo dead baits and artificials and it hit a bare cedar plug. The deep drop was hot. We could have filled the box in a 400'-800' piece of bottom off Great harbor. the dolphin were curiously scarce but otherwise there was plenty of action.

The underwater marlin pic was from a go pro on a stick - great editing by James to find the 1 frame out of hundreds that had the fish in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Gator View Post
    It was a pleasure to fish with James again. Trolling was hit or miss but the 2 caught and several missed marlin made it worthwhile. Note that the hot marlin bait in the pic above is the dreaded cedar plug. We were pulling primo dead baits and artificials and it hit a bare cedar plug. The deep drop was hot. We could have filled the box in a 400'-800' piece of bottom off Great harbor. the dolphin were curiously scarce but otherwise there was plenty of action.

The underwater marlin pic was from a go pro on a stick - great editing by James to find the 1 frame out of hundreds that had the fish in it.
    True on the first marlin (from the pocket) on the cedar but take some credit on pushing a slow troll swimming ballyhoo presentation idea on the first day at seaspray (when we were the only boat in the fleet to release a marlin). Cedar 1 swimmer 1 and the debate will continue.......

Salty Gator rigged dozens over the course of the trip and was happy to commit to a full day of slow trolling dead baits behind dredges and squid teasers. To add we had a 74 year old angler (handled like a pro) be the only one to catch a marlin that day was even better.
    Captain James Jolly

Maribella Charters, LLC

Sounds like an awesome trip. Headed to Lucaya soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinwwings2 View Post
    Sounds like an awesome trip. Headed to Lucaya soon.
    If you have not been back to lucaya since matthew, it's more or less business the same. Some of the dock structures are gone but overall same ole same ole.

Safe crossing and hope the bite is on
    Captain James Jolly

Maribella Charters, LLC

Thank you for the heads up. I have not been in 2 years. Tried to go last month but the weather window and our schedules never aligned. We will likely spend 4-5 nights and will be molesting the YFT hard the last 2-3 days. Want to try trolling for Marlin, something new for me but they are on the bucket list. Have little hope, but have to start somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast