16 Tarpon jumped... and did you know that Redbone rods float?
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

16 Tarpon jumped... and did you know that Redbone rods float?

Had a charter a couple nights ago and we got into em good... 16 tarpon in the course of 4 hours. They were hitting Hogy 7" and a couple other jigs... the darker the color the better. The real excitement came on fish #1 though... I'm not sure people go into this with a good understanding of just how hard a tarpon can pull... even a juvi. So about 10 seconds into the fight, tarpon #1 lays down the hammer and goes for a screaming run, which is awesome, except that angler #1... let's call him "Wayne"... wasn't expecting it and the tarpon yanked the rod out of his hand. Lol! So I'm in the boat watching a Smoke 50 with Hurricane Redbone go down in the water, I'm about to jump in to grab it but I realize I have the car keys and my phone in my pocket so I just watched the rod go by... then the amazing happened and the rod actually started to float! Apparently there's just enough cork on the handle and it came back up to the surface! So we troll over, "Wayne" grabs it... and I kid you not, the fish was still on! I swear! So "Wayne" starts fighting this fish again and we're all laughing and trying to record it... it was amazing! Probably the biggest roller coaster of emotions I've ever had on a boat lol.
    Step 1 - Fish on... excitement! (especially the first tarpon of the night)
    Step 2 - Rod in water... confusion (wtf just happened) followed by maybe a hint of anger (I can't believe this googan just dropped my $300 rod in the water!!! )
    Step 3 - Rod floating... hope (we might actually get this thing back)
    Step 4 - Rod in hand ... relief
    Step 5 - Fish on!?!? ... OMG THIS IS THE CRAZIEST!!!

Lol... I wish I had the whole thing on video. Good times.

Oh and I disassembled and greased up the Smoke 50 and all is right with the world. It needed a cleaning anyway.

-Mag

PS... the anonymous "Wayne" was used in quotations so that he wouldn't get harassed by florida sportsman forum members... not that his real name is actually Wayne or I would condone such activity...
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
    2017 Tarpon Count: 102/409
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

You are going to need an accountant just to keep up on your sig numbers.

Also awesome about the rod, shimano's do not float if you are wondering lol.

Great post!

That is quite the series of events.

I had a friend lay a rod down to drink, a fish bit pulling the rod overboard. He dove in and got the rod and the fish, a decent sized croaker

Yeah Cabo 30's on Shimano Terramar's don't float either. I found out the hard way when I laid it down to mess with something in the boat and watched it get yanked in the water by a tarpon. The fish did jump a couple times though so of course I counted it as a jump. Ha ha.

lol

(I can't believe this googan just dropped my $300 rod in the water!!! )

Very funny! Nice report.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release

That is outstanding. Still chuckling about this a day later. Glad you got the Rod back.

Side note: I like the new logo.

Upstate New York - Rotonda West, FL - Stump Pass
    Ha! You are the best! You'd think I never fished before but as I have relived the moment about 20 times over the weekend as my friend Paul has been busting my chops.....Here is what I think actually happened.

I was standing on the front of the flats boat (Something I'm not used to) and as that first fish took off I was really surprised at how fast and how powerful it was. I was also surprised at how tight the drag was. I also was surprised that the fish almost pulled me off the boat and into the river. So, I decided to reach for the drag to back it off a little. At the same time, that Tarpon took off and again caught me off guard. Looking back on it, I don't think it "ripped" the rod out of my hand. I think it pulled me off balance so much that I was going for a swim. At that point, it was either me or the rod that was going for a swim! I really don't know for sure.

In either case it was a great night! 16 fish on and at least another 20+ bites that never quite hooked up. The next day we went out into the Gulf and couldn't stop talking about how much fun we had the night before.

One other thing that happened later in the night was my friend Paul fighting a tarpon that hit about 3 feet from the boat. It makes its first jump and almost hits Paul in the face. Paul jumps back like a little girl and it makes its second jump almost hits him again and he almost fell over backwards. It was pretty funny to see a grown man almost get beat up by a Tarpon!

In either case we all had a great time and hope to do it again later this Summer or next Summer when we are in town.

Thanks for the great time Keith!

No time for pictures with all of the action but here are the two that I took.

Capt. Wayne Stoutner
    Reel Stout Sportfishing
    Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing
    www.reelstout.com
    Tikitown!
    SW Florida Vacation Rental
    https://www.vrbo.com/721414

We all have those moments, where you can laugh about it afterward. A few post back Kmag was talking about buying better gear. It's not worth it unless you get sponsor discounts, because most people you takeout will have little to no experience and stepping, breaking or losing rods is a norm.
    Damn the first time I fished with you I wasn't sure about you, but we turned into a good team .

Very true Rick... I'm going to stick with Pflueger Presidents and Calico Jack rods... perfect balance of performance and expense in my opinion.

And yes... we do fish well together. We usually use different techniques so we cover the water column pretty well. Plus it's good for my ego to get schooled every now and again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast