Florida Dive Flag Protocol

Florida Sportsman

Florida Dive Flag Protocol

My wife and I will be permanently returning to the Sushine State after a nine year hiatus. What are the current Florida dive flag protocols?
    Specifically: 1. What is required and what size is to be shown and from where for beach divining without a surface support vessel? I am already aware that a rigid Alpha flag is required to be shown when a vessel is used for diving support and is outside the demarcation line which divides the area for International rules of the road and Inand rules of the road. 2. Does Florida require a red/white flag also be shown in addition to the alpha flag when operating a vessel with divers down in state waters between the demarcation lines and either 3 miles offshore on the east coast or 9 miles on the Gulf coast?
    Thanks in advance !!

20"x24" on a boat. 12"x12" on a towed buoy, required if not diving from a boat. Be safe and use them! We've had several divers hit by ignorant, idiot boaters.

Thank you fish-stix. I assume your answer means "yes" for the red/white in addition to the alpha flag outside the demarcation line while still in state waters.
    Does Florida statute specify a minimum distance for a vessel CPA (closest point of approach) to a vessel or bouy showing signals for "engaged in underwater operations"?

Mind if I plug a great way to display your flag?
    http://www.boatingflagpoles.com/

Just Google FL Diving Regs. CPA for boats is 300' in offshore areas.

Be aware it does not matter how big a flag you fly.. be very careful out there..
    MPO, as both an ignorant idiot boater and a diver, the 12x12 is to small and not very visible.. most beach divers have a simple float with that flag 12 to 24" above the waterline, when there is a 1-2' chop its easily lost on the surface.

We fly the Flag on the boat on an 8' pole on top of a 6'5" T-top, boat hull is white, T-Top bright blue canvas and people still run right up on us.

There is also very little enforcement happening...
    Old ****** who just likes to fish

I use the 24"x24" on a self made pole that is about 6' above the water line on a kayak. I have a 40' line that I tie to myself so I'm never more than 40' from my yak with the flag. When I'm in the water and hear a boat, I pop up and make sure they're not going to get close to me. I haven't had a problem yet, but I am paranoid - especially as a freediver. I spend almost all my time at the surface and it's harder for me to "hide" underwater if I need to.