Bucktail advice - Page 3
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bucktail advice

Most that I know simply tip a bucktail with a tiny bit of shrimp (no bigger than the tip end of your little finger..). That "sweetener" is all that's needed to tip the scales in your favor when a fish comes calling.... Never use more than the minimum amount of shrimp since too much ruins the jig's action. These days many, many anglers have converted over to leadhead with Gulp tails since the amount of scent in them is almost greater than what you get tipping a bucktail with shrimp. I like Gulp products enough to buy them five quarts at a time (when I can find them in the quart size containers....).

The toughest part for those buying bucktails or leadheads in stores is that many being offered have cheap, weak hooks (0r hooks that are too small for the fish you're hunting....). That's one of the main reason I began making my own years ago....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

2x. Spro in 1/8. 1/4. 3/8. White , green&white, and chartreuse
    Never leave home without them

Bob LeMay does great work, I have been having him make jigs for me for a number of yrs, they have quality hooks for sure. He will custom make what you want and is very reasonable price wise. His bucktails are great.

thanks for the kind words...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Second on the quality of Bob's jigs. They outlast the commercial ones and have quality hooks and paint. I grab mine from LMR when Andy has them in stock.

Bob is legendary for sure! Thanks Bob for your contribution! It was Bonephish that shared your knowledge for me and others. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bsky View Post
    Hey guys. I've got the sudden curiosity and urge to mess around with some bucktail. Never used one I usually use White bait. I live in bradenton area so fish anna maria island Siesta key Sarasota gulf waters frequently. Inshore fishing kayak, canoe, wade is What id be trying these bucktails on. Any recommendations to color, size, brand ? Thanks
    Check out www.gettinjiggyusa.com
    Fishing Line
    WWW.BULLBUSTER.NET
    Discount code
    "A"

Lake City (also a place at the mouth of the Suwannee River
    I have never had any success with bucktail jigs. I only fish with artificials and don't know why I can't seem to connect. Any suggestions?

Lake City (also a place at the mouth of the Suwannee River
    I have never had any success with bucktail jigs. I only fish with artificials and don't know why I can't seem to connect. Any suggestions?

Here's the first thing I tell my anglers when we're using bucktails (or leadheads with plastic or Gulp tails...) inshore. In open waters (or in rivers or working just off of the corners of any islands or around bridges....) always toss your bucktail across whatever current you can see in the water - then watch your jig and close the bail or engage your reel just as it splashes - so that it sinks with the line tight and your reel in gear.... Many times your first hit will happen while that bucktail is sinking.... Once it's down in the strike zone (just off the bottom) work it only as fast as needed to keep it off the bottom... In other words - work it slowly with an occasional twitch.... If you're not bit in just a few casts - we're going somewhere else....

If you can learn to work a bucktail you can catch fish with it anywhere in the world - and I'm talking every specie of fish in both salt and freshwater.... in waters so shallow that you can wade or on the bottom over wrecks as deep as 300 feet down.... Tailor the size jig to what you're trying to accomplish and you're in business....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123